Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with the next step

Helloo

Okay, I got my 79 Xs1100 special put back together. New over size pistons, rings, had to replace the exaust valves and rebuilt the carb.

Started with no trouble but running real rough. What would you all suggest I do? what would the next step be? Seems to run hot. lot of smoke that I think is from oil burning off the pipes and such forth.

Teck
    Tim Lowe
    "Teck"
    1979 xs1100 Special

How big are the oversize pistons? Was it a Wiseco kit? Did you use a lot of assembly lube when you put it back together? That may be the smoke you see. I also did mine recently, Wiseco 1179cc kit, and I had to give the pilot screws an extra 1/2 turn out to smooth it out at idle, and I had to tweak the timing just a little. It will tend to run hot, now that the steel cylinder sleeves are thinner after boring, and more heat is being generated. Are you sure of the cam timing? Did dots on each cam line up with the arrows on the #3 cam bearing caps? That is critical. Can you tell which cyl is not firing properly, or are they all not firing properly? Which exhaust pipe isn't getting hot? It may be a carb problem. Hard to tell without being there to hear it. Did you check the pick up coil wires while you had them out? Any chance they got broken during reassembly?Good luck with it.

Comment

Answers

I was lucky and able to find 1 size over std pistons and rings from a yamaha dealer in the states.

I spent a lot of time on the timing chain and got the dots and the arrow to match dead on. Pick up coils??????

Will try turning out the pilot screws and see if that helps' I'm going change the plugs while I'm at it.

I did use a lot of assembly oil. good point. thanks for the help and the advice

Teck
      Tim Lowe
      "Teck"
      1979 xs1100 Special

Comment

Pick up coils The infamous pick up coils. On the left side of the engine...where the vacuum advance mechanism is. The wires break very easily, and the advance unit will vibrate under load. At idle and low speed, broken wires inside the insulation can still make contact, but under acceration, they may 'open' and contact will be lost. One of the ignition coils that fires the spark plugs will stop working. Plus 1&4 fire off the same coil, and 2&3 fire off the other one. So, if #1 spark plus is not firing, then chances are that #4 isn't either. same goes for 2&3. Read in the maint tip on the left side of this page to find the info on pick up coil wires. A VERY common problem with these bikes. As I've said before, 'There are two kinds of XS riders...Those who have had trouble with the p/u coil wires, and those who will'

Comment

Working...
        X