new member first post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member first post

I a the proud owner of 1978 XS 1100 with 18K miles. The bike had been sitting outside for a long time the first thing I did was get the carbs cleaned and a tune up. Now it will start fine I get ab lock down the road and it sputters and dies. The only way I can get it restarted is to choke it this takes many tries. I also seem to be losing fuel from the left side of the bike when it is parked. I also had both petcocks rebuilt. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    78 XS 1100 E 18K miles

Check the vent in the fuel cap. Do you hear a vacuum being broken when you open the fuel cap? That will give the problems you have described. Try driving it for a while with the fuel cap opened, but resting in the closed position. If the vent is the problem, then it will dissapear. Did you remove the float and seat assemblies, and check the screens that sit on top of the seats? They can become clogged, and affect fuel flow to the carbs. Try blowing air in a reverse direction through the fuel inlets. Any clog should be dislodged.

Comment

Thanks I ll give it a try.
      78 XS 1100 E 18K miles

Comment

Be very careful if it looks like the fuel is leaking from the lower part of the airbox when the bike is parked on the sidestand. This is a sign of petcocks/float valves not sealing properly and allowing fuel to leak up into the carbs and back to the airbox. There's a high risk of that same fuel seeping the other way into a cylinder, down past a piston, and entering the crankcase. If this happens, the oil get thinned out and you run a chance of tearing up the bottom end bearings. I know you said the petcocks have been worked on, but that may not mean they got done right.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

The K&L Petcock rebuild kits are not right. You have to modify the plastic spacer in the Diaphram and thin it out some. This info came from Braden Thro at Merriam Cycle
          and Their number is 913-677-4663. Great bunch of guys with lots of hard to get new and used XS1100 parts.
          Last edited by Winterhawk; 06-10-2004, 11:25 PM.
          "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

The fuel is clogged problem solved! It seems the carbs were leaking the bolts on the bottom were not tight. Thanks. Next I need new tires and brakes and to start removing surface rust and polishing.
            78 XS 1100 E 18K miles

Comment

Working...
            X