Random Red Wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Red Wire

So I have a random red hot wire up in the headlight bucket area that is always hot even with the key off. Can't find this wire on the wiring diagram. Where does this wire come from?
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Start pulling fuses until it loses power. I would bet it's the auxiliary power fuse that kills it.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Is your ignition switch in place and you have another red wire always hot?

I just got my SG home by hotwiring that spot. I will look early this evening for you...
      80 SG

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        Start pulling fuses until it loses power. I would bet it's the auxiliary power fuse that kills it.
        Well, now you are going to make me admit that I do not have any of my fuses labeled...

Only dies when the main fuse is pulled.

Originally posted by bugg100 View Post
        Is your ignition switch in place and you have another red wire always hot?
        Yes. This one is a 16 or 18 awg wire.
        Last edited by natemoen; 09-27-2016, 03:43 PM.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Hey Nate,

During my recent rebuild, I also found that always hot Red Wire in the headlight bucket, so it's got to come off of the main fuse line side before the ignition switch. I have an 81 SH. I also don't know what it's supposed to be for?

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
            Hey Nate,

During my recent rebuild, I also found that always hot Red Wire in the headlight bucket, so it's got to come off of the main fuse line side before the ignition switch. I have an 81 SH. I also don't know what it's supposed to be for?

T.C.
            It has to be tapped off of that wire someplace in the middle which is just weird to me!
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

That wire is the one I use for the power outlet in my fairing. The power outlet has it's own in line fuse.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                That wire is the one I use for the power outlet in my fairing. The power outlet has its own in-line fuse.
                That is where I had my cig lighter plug hooked to in my fairing before but didn't realize it was always hot till now. I was going to use that wire for my fairing voltmeter and gauge lights but can't do that now since it is always hot. Basically, it is now useless to me unfortunatley.

On a side note, as I was going through this trying to chase this down I found that my right side handlebar pod has 6 wires on it but only 5 coming to in at the connector from the harness. It has a white wire connecting to the blue/black in the harness and a dark blue dead ending from the pod. None of that is shown in the wiring diagram.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Original the cigarette lighter in the fairing In the faring they have it go to a separate 10 amp fuse. There is also a brown wire hot when key switch is on. I do not think it has its own fuse in the main just taps off the hot to ignition switch.
                  To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                  1980 G Silverbird
                  Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                  1198 Overbore kit
                  Grizzly 660 ACCT
                  Barnett Clutch Springs
                  R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                  122.5 Main Jets
                  ACCT Mod
                  Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                  Antivibe Bar ends
                  Rear trunk add-on
                  http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Yeah. U'll want your voltmeter tapped into a switched source, but going through a relay, and going straight to the battery.
                    1979 XS1100F
                    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

That Red wire is soldered to the main wire near the regulator/rectifier connection. It's fused at 30A through the main fuse so be careful.
                      -- Scott
                      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                      1979 XS1100F: parts
                      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                        That Red wire is soldered to the main wire near the regulator/rectifier connection. It's fused at 30A through the main fuse so be careful.
                        Well that is asinine in my opinion!
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                          Well that is asinine in my opinion!
                          It is what it is. That's the unswitched power supply for the cigarette lighter outlet and the (it was a late '70s and early '80s design) 10,000,000 candlepower spotlight?

The Brown wire with that large, gold-colored, two-pole female connector in the headlight shell is switched power for accessories but since one pole already has the hot wire for the front brake light switch plugged into it I guess you can have a stereo or a CB radio.
                          -- Scott
                          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                          1979 XS1100F: parts
                          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Those two wires work well with several devices that need constant power like in a clock to keep time the RED and then the Brown switched power for power consuming devices. The other thing the Red provides is a good tap for measuring voltage actual current charge and available volts with load applied. I have a digital volt meter multifunctional clock that lets me know how well the alternator is charging and the battery is holding. Going down the road at 4k rpm or better I can slowly see the charge go up until its at 14.05 and at stop lights go down usually maintaining 12 volts with all devices on. True is not like the original amp meter but the wire is run no need for more wires to monitor if I have a problem. The brown wire is switched power works well with stereo and the turn on of the volt meter display. The red wire provides charge to clock battery. So I can see where the engineering provided power for future functions without having to run further wiring. If we just had a 65 amp alternator everything would have been engineered right.
                            To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                            1980 G Silverbird
                            Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                            1198 Overbore kit
                            Grizzly 660 ACCT
                            Barnett Clutch Springs
                            R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                            122.5 Main Jets
                            ACCT Mod
                            Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                            Antivibe Bar ends
                            Rear trunk add-on
                            http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Update your R/R, run it straight to the battery, and increase the gauge size on your negative battery cable, and starter solenoid cables. U'll see see well-over 14v even at idle.
                              1979 XS1100F
                              2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Working...
                              X