xs 1100 problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs 1100 problems

ok, so i've changed the plugs, changed the oil took the carbs off and made sure that theyt were clean and the bike still doesn't run if i leave it at a real low rmp like 800 or lower you can hear the first two cylinders sputtering. And every once and a while it will back fire and start running for a second and then die. I'm at my whits end, i don't understand how the rain could make my bike run like this . Also i checked the wires that are under the left cover and they are fine.
    Thanks
    Rob

Mine runs fine but won't hold an idle at 800 RPM's either.
    Factory idle spec is 1,100 RPM, +/- 100 RPM.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Hi Rob!
      Check the 1,000 connections. One little spot of water in the wrong place can cause one large headache.

How's it rev? Misfire?
      Marty in NW PA
      Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
      Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
      This IS my happy face.

Comment

water + xs= run bad

The infamous runs bad when wet syndrome. many of us xs's have similiar problems when we wash our bikes. mine was real bad for this. when it rained or when i washed it. I figured it was electrical cuz it would pop,spit and sputter you name it did it. took all electrical connections apart i could find for ignition and applied dielectric grease to them.also regapped my pickup coils to much smaller gap, i think i gapped to .006"-.008".haven't had any problems since. hope this helps.

graybird78
        80 sg
        when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
        80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

Working...
        X