Cylinder Heads Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder Heads Compatibility

Would a cylinder head assembly from a '79 XS 1100 be compatible with an '81 model?
    79 SF

heads

The later model has larger dia valves, and a different compression. It has been done. Do a search.
    put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
    79 F (Blueballs)
    79 SF (Redbutt)
    81 LH (organ donor)
    79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
    76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
    rover has spoken

Comment

I always hated the "Do a search" answer to my questions. Our search tends to lead you to a thousand links that somewhere in them may have the word you're looking for and no way to know which page it could possible be on with each thread listed.

Yes, you can use an early head on a late motor, BUT.. the consensus seems to be that you need to use the cams that pertain to the head and that it's best to use the timing mechanism for the head/cams you plan on using. You should get a little more HP and compression from doing as you were asking, but it's easier to just put back in what you had. Plug and play.
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
        I always hated the "Do a search" answer to my questions. Our search tends to lead you to a thousand links that somewhere in them may have the word you're looking for and no way to know which page it could possible be on with each thread listed.

Yes, you can use an early head on a late motor, BUT.. the consensus seems to be that you need to use the cams that pertain to the head and that it's best to use the timing mechanism for the head/cams you plan on using. You should get a little more HP and compression from doing as you were asking, but it's easier to just put back in what you had. Plug and play.
        Reason I was asking is that I'm selling a cylinder head from a '79 model and someone with an '81 model was looking to purchase it. I told him I wouldn't recommend doing so as the cams and valves are different but you're saying it could be done without any adverse results?
        79 SF

Comment

The 79 head you have will not use the cams or valves from 81. Mechanically the older 79 head and parts in it are completely different from an 81. If you put the complete 79 head on containing same year valves and cams it will mechanically work with no problem. To get proper performance the timing vacuum advance should be changed to the same year as the 79 head. This is what TRBIG said do you understand?
          To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
          1980 G Silverbird
          Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
          1198 Overbore kit
          Grizzly 660 ACCT
          Barnett Clutch Springs
          R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
          122.5 Main Jets
          ACCT Mod
          Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
          Antivibe Bar ends
          Rear trunk add-on
          http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by ViperRon View Post
            The 79 head you have will not use the cams or valves from 81. Mechanically the older 79 head and parts in it are completely different from an 81. If you put the complete 79 head on containing same year valves and cams it will mechanically work with no problem. To get proper performance the timing vacuum advance should be changed to the same year as the 79 head. This is what TRBIG said do you understand?
            Got it, thanks. Is the timing vacuum advance part of the pickup coil/governor assembly?
            79 SF

Comment

There is a mechanical advance springs and weights and also a vacuum advance mechanism under the left side cover sitting on bike those give different trimming curve to work with the valves and cams.
              To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
              1980 G Silverbird
              1198 Overbore kit
              Grizzly 660 ACCT
              Barnett Clutch Springs
              R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
              122.5 Main Jets
              ACCT Mod
              Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
              Antivibe Bar ends
              Rear trunk add-on

Comment

Originally posted by ViperRon View Post
                There is a mechanical advance springs and weights and also a vacuum advance mechanism under the left side cover sitting on bike those give different trimming curve to work with the valves and cams.
                Hi Ron,
                If he changes to the mechanical advance does he need to change the TCI box as well ? There is electrickery in there so beyond my knowledge or pay scale.
                Phil
                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

To make it work you would not need to change. To make it work well the trimming box TCI would need to be changed from a 4R0, the wiring would need to be changed as well as there are issues with what type coils to use and wiring of the ballast resister.

There has been discussion of the easiest way to get the best performance from the 78/79 head on an 80 and 81 engine and opinions vary. Some say to vary the trimming start point will closer match the curve others disagree. So to put the 79 head on and make it work as well as the 81 I imagine just replacing the head completely and centrifugal advance would get you there. To try and gain max hp would involve turning it into a 79 completely in the electrical department.

The 79/79 bikes were mechanically engineered for a higher output part of which came from the cams and trimming advance in a different curve.

So if you want all specific information I believe one person here on the forum to ask is 3Phase as I know he had the specifics of all the different advance mechanisms and wiring for the change. Now 3Phase may not be the only expert on these functions but I have seen his posts here. and you can do the searches or just send him a note.

So the question is whether he's looking to make it work or modify it for power. You going to sell him the head that works or reengineer bike for him???????

Rodan
                  1980 G Silverbird
                  1198 Overbore kit
                  Grizzly 660 ACCT
                  Barnett Clutch Springs
                  R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                  122.5 Main Jets
                  ACCT Mod
                  Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                  Antivibe Bar ends
                  Rear trunk add-on

Comment

I currently have a 79 head on an 80 LG. I am using the cams that came with the head. The advance and TCI are the ones from the bike (80LG) It runs very well with no issues to date.
                    The 81's advance may be different from the 80's but I do not know for sure.
                    Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                    80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                    82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                    82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                    82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                    72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                    72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

You just can't argue with success!
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hey Tcoop,

The 80 engine uses the newer designed pistons, but still has the same older mechanical cent. and vac/. advance and similar TCI, so that may be part of why it is able to work.

The newer 80-81 pistons have larger/wider valve recesses, and are not as domed, and that is part of why the later engines have a slightly lower compression ratio of 9.0 to 1 vs. the 78's 9.2 to 1.

As was stated, sounds like the trick is using the same year cams as the head, the electrical ignition timing may not be as critical??

T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                        X