Clutch Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Springs

In the past few weeks, my trusty XS1100SF has been slipping the clutch, and it's rapidly getting worse.

It's okay once the engine warms up, but until then I have to baby the throttle quite a bit.

I'm trying to figure out the install procedure now to replace the clutch springs, which seems like the thing to do (http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...P-4143437.html).

But now I'm 5 pages deep in turning the bike upside down, dremeling out the 2nd gear issue, etc.

If all I want to do is replace the clutch springs, how hard is it?

I'm comfy with electrical, brakes, and the "easy" stuff. I've replaced an oil pump, but other than that I've never dug into the transmission or engine... and now I'm TERRIFIED!
    79 XS1100SF

Easy

If you are doing the Dremel fix, then you have the springs out already.

You just spend $20 for new springs and put them in.

If you do it in a separate operation, it's still quite easy. You don't even have to remove the high torque clutch basket nut. Just be careful to remove and replace the star plate by turning each screw 1/4 turn at a time so the star plate doesn't break from uneven spring loading.

If you need more info, just ask.

PS: Many folks recommend the stiffer Barnett springs, but I wonder if the condition of the friction plates and the metal plates is why. I am happy with stock springs in both my XS11's so far.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

TC has a really great Step-by-Step in the Repairs Section - Engine - Clutch Plate
      http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9481

Just follow that and you should be fine.

If you are just replacing the springs and leaving everything else alone its quite easy. This is my 78' E. The hardest part of the job on the 'E' was needing to remove that long bolt to remove the right side foot rest. On a Special you do not have that issue as far as I know. (but you need to go look)

So if you think all the clutch innards are within spec and you just want to replace the springs its straight forward job. The only issue i had was the bolts on star plate. Only two risks to the job IMHO - #1: making absolutely 100% sure that star plate is not crooked before you tighten the bolts. The 1/4 turn and excessive spring tension caution Mike just mentioned as i was typing up this response . #2: Torque spec on those star bolts is like a mere 7 ft lb. Be careful. I had one break off at about 5. Metal fatigue or just age, i don't know but it broke. (actually i recalled a more than a normal snap when I first loosen the bolts so maybe PO had way over-torqued it to begin with) I bought six new OEM star bolts because i sure didn't want to snap off any more.

Sure don't want to snap a bolt off in that clutch basket but reading the manual and following the simple precautions mentioned here should eliminate that possibility

Good Luck,
      Jeff
      Last edited by JeffH; 09-06-2016, 02:01 PM.
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Awesome, thanks gents.

I have no idea if the clutch plates are in spec or not, but figured the spring was the thing to start with.

It looks like if I just do springs, I don't need to do much.

What about gasket material? Looks like TopCat recommended making a new gasket. But that's the only other part I'd need (I may try to order one, if available), if I'm just doing springs?
        79 XS1100SF

Comment

I think some guys just RTV everything -or- are energetic like TC and cut their own gasket.
          but I'm lazy, and just ordered a new gasket

Check out Partzilla
          www.partzilla.com

Says for 1980G (likely all the same anyways) and $12 bucks
          Woops, but you said 'SF so that's 79 i looked up 80. Same #'s i think

Yes, only thing unless you want to get a couple spare star plate bolts just in case.
          BOLT, FLANGE
          95811-06025-00
          $1.04

GASKET, CRCS COVER
          2H7-15451-00-00
          $11.83

Jeff
          Last edited by JeffH; 09-06-2016, 02:45 PM.
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Thanks muchly; really really appreciate it!

She's a great bike. Maybe this winter my project will be cleaning the spare carbs I have on the shelf. Also a bunch of other things I should do (never ever checked valve clearances! Nor have I done any lube other than main oil, and final drive/middle drive oil). I'm sure there's stuff to grease that needs it!

Going to post some info on the ride I did this weekend; will start a separate thread...
            79 XS1100SF

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
              ...The hardest part of the job on the 'E' was needing to remove that long bolt to remove the right side foot rest. On a Special you do not have that issue as far as I know. (but you need to go look)

Jeff
              I ended up removing that long engine bolt on both my Specials. I found it's far easier to remove it than to work around it. Can't get an Allen wrench on a couple of the cover bolts.
              -Mike
              _________
              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
              '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
              '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
              '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

The clutch springs can be replaced in about 30 minutes on the sidestand. YamaBond or ThreeBond liquid gasket maker is all you need in place of a gasket. Just be sure when you put that 6 bolt star plate back on you tighten the bolts evenly or it will bind up in the center bore and break. And torque them with a torque wrench to the proper tension.

Also, when you remove those 6 bolts check them just under the head to see if they have been overtightened and stretched. You'll be able to tell. If they are REPLACE THEM!

The kick start rod can be a problem if it falls out. It's not hard to put back in if you know how so pay attention.

Here are the springs that you need, other aftermarket springs have proven to be inferior. http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...14&Search.y=10

Here is the gasket maker you'll need. https://www.amazon.com/Three-Bond-Li.../dp/B0012TUVAW

Also, I hate to bring this up but what oil are you using? It really makes a difference with these old friction materials. Some additives will cause slippage.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                  Also, I hate to bring this up but what oil are you using? It really makes a difference with these old friction materials. Some additives will cause slippage.
                  You know, I'm not sure. I always just buy whatever 20W-50 I find at the auto-parts store that is NOT synthetic, but name brand. Probably Penzoil or something.

I would have suspected the oil, but this didn't start happening until well after my spring oil change a couple of months ago now.

Might be worth a shot. Could use a change anyway, I've been wringing it out pretty good this summer.

I think someone mentioned Wally World cheapo oil? What do you use?
                  79 XS1100SF

Comment

Check out Partzilla
                    www.partzilla.com

GASKET, CRCS COVER
                    2H7-15451-00-00
                    $11.83

Jeff
                    Well, I hope that part works. They don't have XS1100SF any more listed!!!

I think I recall someone mentioning this; some fallout with Yamaha de-listing bikes older than 1980? Weird they've still got the XS1100F listed. Just not the Special.
                    79 XS1100SF

Comment

20-50 is correct but check the API service label. The bottom of the circle should be blank like this one.

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

If you take out the springs its not too much more to check the frictions and metal plates. They can build up varnish if left for a long time can build up rust and if someone had used synthetic the frictions may have a burnt finish that will slip. I am not saying any of these are a problem but once its apart check it all as looking will not take 30 minutes more and you do not want to go back later. Use TC's write up check it all and you will be better off for it.
                        To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                        1980 G Silverbird
                        Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                        1198 Overbore kit
                        Grizzly 660 ACCT
                        Barnett Clutch Springs
                        R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                        122.5 Main Jets
                        ACCT Mod
                        Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                        Antivibe Bar ends
                        Rear trunk add-on
                        http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

John,

Just a suggestion but when you put that long engine mount bolt back through the footrests, thread it through from the left-hand side of the frame so the bolt head is on the left-hand side and the nut is on the right-hand side.

The next time you have to take off the clutch cover you won't have to support the rear of the engine, you just slowly loosen the nut a few turns while you use a soft hammer or brass drift to tap the bolt and nut over a few inches to the left until it's just far enough to take off the nut and the footrest instead of pulling the entire bolt.
                          -- Scott
                          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                          1979 XS1100F: parts
                          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by johnstewart View Post
                            In the past few weeks, my trusty XS1100SF has been slipping the clutch, and it's rapidly getting worse.

It's okay once the engine warms up, but until then I have to baby the throttle quite a bit.

I'm trying to figure out the install procedure now to replace the clutch springs, which seems like the thing to do (http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...P-4143437.html).

But now I'm 5 pages deep in turning the bike upside down, dremeling out the 2nd gear issue, etc.

If all I want to do is replace the clutch springs, how hard is it?

I'm comfy with electrical, brakes, and the "easy" stuff. I've replaced an oil pump, but other than that I've never dug into the transmission or engine... and now I'm TERRIFIED!
                            Hey John,

Your description sounds a little odd? I would expect the clutch to slip more once it's warmed up because the parts expand and causes the separation of the throwout rod and bearing of the star plate to get closer, and might not release completely which could cause slippage. BTW, have you done the throwout rod adjustment at the ENGINE under the round clutch cover??? If it's not adjusted right, it won't fully release the clutch and will cause slippage....and as the clutch gets worn, the pressure plate moves closer to the throwout rod, and that's why it needs periodic adjusting to keep it the right distance away to ensure proper full clutch release/engagement.

The colder thicker slipperier oil may contribute to slippage when cold, and when it warms up, the oil thins out and doesn't provide as much friction reduction and that's why it may not slip as much when warmed up!?!?

Also, the Extra Steel in the clutch MOD does provide a good guide for just doing the springs, just ignore the extra steel plate part. Ron, taking the clutch pack out is a lot more work, he'll need either an impact wrench with the 23mm socket, or will have to wedge the drivetrain to be able to get the nut loosened and then retorqued. Also, you can't use a regular 10-140 ft/lb torque wrench for the clutch bolts. Either get a low ft/lb range, like 00-75, or an Inch Pound, 7x12=86 inch pounds...the spec is 7.2 ft lbs. The tech tip also describes and shows what causes the star plate to get broken.

T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I think some guys just RTV everything -or- are energetic like TC and cut their own gasket.
                              but I'm lazy, and just ordered a new gasket

Check out Partzilla
                              www.partzilla.com

Yes, only thing unless you want to get a couple spare star plate bolts just in case.
                              BOLT, FLANGE
                              95811-06025-00
                              $1.04

GASKET, CRCS COVER
                              2H7-15451-00-00
                              $11.83

Jeff
                              ........or could bolt clutch cover back on with NO gasket. I have a new gasket on shelf, but opted not using it. With both surfaces clean and dry, a thin,thin film of Permatex High Temp Grey worked fine. Not so much as a weep for some 9yrs. now. No gasket used on shift side cover nor oil pan either as all the metal cover plates and engine case mounting surfaces machined flat.
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                              X