Wanna see my "Fuse Block"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanna see my "Fuse Block"?

heheee I read enough here to know not to touch it so I didn't. Well that is until I popped a fuse today finishing up the radio in the new fairing. I opened her up and OMG!

The first fuse is held on with a pipe cleaner, the second isn't held in at all but it is all wrapped in shiny aluminum foil. It is also barely connected with a patch wire kinda wrapped around a skinned part of the original and hanging down. Unbelievable that it ran at all. The 3rd and 4th aren't to bad but they are just about to go so I may as well replace the whole thing. Got some fuse holders for the spade type since they are easier to find and I'll just make a new cool looking holder from Lexan and maybe put some LEDs in it.
    Phoenix Blaze
    www.xe3000.com

'80-XS11 "Renaissance iron"

It is a GOOD thing that you discovered that now. You could have found it during a break-down in the middle of the desert!
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I was gonna take it across the desert on our Honeymoon. I didn't get the fairing on in time so we didn't. As you said, good thing.
      Phoenix Blaze
      www.xe3000.com

Comment

Heh heh . . . when I first started restoring my Midnight, I was leaving work one day and hit a bump. The bike died. Completely, no lights, nothing. Just like that.

Pushed it onto a sidewalk (got some looks from the downtown Dallas commuters) and started checking things out.

Got to the fuse box and it was empty. Not a single fuse in it.

Couldn't figure out how she had ever run in the first place . . . most of the holders were broken in two or at least out of the plastic . . . ALL the fuses leapt free when I hit the bump.

Ended up twisting the wires together to get home. Installed a nice 5-slot spade fuse holder (with a clear cover) from Radio Shack for about $10.

Don't forget the main fuse . . . on mine it was located in some soft rubber thingy under the LEFT sidecover/seat. I installed that in the fuse holder too.

Never another problem.
        CUAgain,
        Daniel Meyer
        Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
        Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

All fixed. Turns out the old cigarette lighter in the fairing was rusted and shorting out. I had allready purchased a new one (for asthetic reasons) so I quickly swapped them out. WooHoo! All better.
          Thanks for the tip on the main. It was shot too.
          All new fuses and fuse holders, I guess that was a needed sidetrack.
          I Love this fairing! I put in an XM satellite radio and a couple 150 watt speakers. Now I can cruise across the desert without getting bored to tears! Off to beat on it awhile and see how it fairs.
          I'll try to get some new pics on my bike page today.
          Phoenix Blaze
          www.xe3000.com

Comment

phot of main fuse location?

Anyone have a photo they could share of the main fuse location. I've got an 82 XJ and the only thing I can think would be the main fuse is a soft rubberized thing with (2) fuses in it. Is that it?????

Tom B.

Comment

I don't have a photo handy, Tom, but what you are describing is the main fuse. One is working, the other is just a handy place to keep a spare.
              Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
              X