1980 XS1100 Cafe Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 XS1100 Cafe Project

Hi all, I'm new and just got my XS11 running so I thought it would be nice to post some details and pics:

1980 - XS1100 Special
    Gas tank form a Standard
    Rear frame and pegs cut off
    Custom made seat/rear cowl (still need upholstery)
    Re-routed wiring and modern fuse box
    Removed batterybox and airbox
    Exhaust cut off at headers (four straight pipes)
    Ballistic LiFePO4 battery
    Radiantz LED turn signals/brake light

A couple videos:
    https://youtu.be/Dq6sWXahf20
    https://youtu.be/-oQ7iuGWTkQ

Photos:

-Tom
    '80 Cafe

www.facebook.com/stockisforsquares/

Cheese 'n Rice that looks nice!!!
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Nice proportions.
      XS11.Com resident Black Sheep

Comment

Hi Tom,
        The regulars on this site will know I am no fan of Cafe conversions of the XS.
        You Sir have nailed it. That is a great piece of work. Many have set off on the road you took. You arrived at the destination, Well done.
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Thank you all, it has been a group effort here and including the great info on this forum.
          -Tom
          '80 Cafe

Comment

I am a stock all the way guy, but....I will say your bike looks mighty sweet. One cool go-slo-scoot. Well done.
            79 F
            Previously owned: (among others)
            1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
            1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
            1973 Suzuki TM 125
            1979 XS1100 F
            2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
            1991 BMW K75

Comment

First ever, really good lookin XS11 Cafe !! Good job and I bet you can't go anywhere without being asked about your ride.
              1995 KZ100P
              Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
              Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

Just watched the videos. Not at all happy with the pipes.
                1995 KZ100P
                Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
                Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

Excellent looking customized cafe racer. Is this bike intended for around town fun or do you intend any long trips on the bike? The noise would give me a headache but it may be perfect for you.

You have skilz. Congrats on a successful build.
                  82 XJ1100 - sold
                  96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
                  2000 ZRX1100 - sold
                  2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

Originally posted by HalfCentury View Post
                    Excellent looking customized cafe racer. Is this bike intended for around town fun or do you intend any long trips on the bike? The noise would give me a headache but it may be perfect for you.

You have skilz. Congrats on a successful build.
                    I expect the seat and handlebar position to be more uncomfortable than the noise, so I'm not planning any long trips for it. I ride with a full face helmet and sometimes use earbuds anyway, so the noise wont be a problem. Well, it wont be a problem for me anyway. 'Tis the cafe style, I personally think it sounds better and is no louder than the typical cafe bikes.

P.S. This is still a work in progress and baffles are being debated so stay tuned. I appreciate the feedback.
                    -Tom
                    '80 Cafe

Comment

Originally posted by Aches n Pains View Post
                      Just watched the videos. Not at all happy with the pipes.
                      But hopefully you got a laugh when I missed a shift. haha
                      -Tom
                      '80 Cafe

Comment

P.S. This is still a work in progress and baffles are being debated so stay tuned.
                        Baffles WILL help with the tune! These engines, like all 4 stroke STREET engines, need a little back pressure to run well throughout the RPM range. Right now, it's probably best wide open and higher RPM. With something to give it just a little back pressure, you will get back the grunt at midrange that makes these bikes fun to ride.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                          Baffles WILL help with the tune! These engines, like all 4 stroke STREET engines, need a little back pressure to run well throughout the RPM range. Right now, it's probably best wide open and higher RPM. With something to give it just a little back pressure, you will get back the grunt at midrange that makes these bikes fun to ride.
                          Well I'm in the back-pressure helps 4 strokes is a myth category. I think most people change their exhaust without proper tuning and cars/bikes run different/worse then things get better when they go back to stock. So their conclusion is "it must be back-pressure". Really it is vacuum because stroke 4 (exhaust) will influence stroke 1 (intake).

It's really all about vacuum. Jetting/tuning/syncing has been a long process for me, and with vintage bikes there is always tweaking to be done. I have good torque throughout, I have a step up in power around 5K RPMs where I figure the vacuum is late to open the needles due the pod filters.

More air + more fuel = more go, always. More air flow is easy, just cut things off. More fuel on the other hand... These carbs have a pilot air jet and with a bit of luck I bet sizing it correctly, along with the main and pilot jets, will make up for my mods.

Right now:
                          Pilot air jet: Stock size
                          Pilot jet: one size larger (cant remember the number)
                          Main jet: 130 (stock is round 110, I think)
                          Last edited by Desmo200; 08-27-2016, 10:17 AM.
                          -Tom
                          '80 Cafe

Comment

wow! i really like the look, the whitewalls are a sweet touch! im no fan of straight pipes, but it certainly matches the style!
                            '81 xs special

Comment

Originally posted by Desmo200 View Post
                              I expect the seat and handlebar position to be more uncomfortable than the noise, so I'm not planning any long trips for it.
                              Now that there is funny. My FJR1300 handlebar position and seat comfort were both abysmal after I started being on for more than 20 minutes at a time. Those required $$$ and effort to find the components that make the bike fun to ride all day.

Your build is eye appealing. The mix of stock and custom are all well chosen. The seat looks like a stock '78 pan minus all of the foam. Its a nod to stock while being totally cafe.

My Honda Magna is totally stock and is too loud for my ears. It is also squirrely in twisties so it will never be beloved by me. I bought it for my 5'2" girlfriend to ride. She loves it.
                              82 XJ1100 - sold
                              96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
                              2000 ZRX1100 - sold
                              2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

Working...
                              X