Rear brake system question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear brake system question

Hi all, new to the forum and xs11 ownership!

I recently picked up an 81 xs11 special with 28000 kms on it as my first road legal bike (been riding off road for years). So far its been a blast, but there is some stuff id like to change.
    The previous ownder installed forward controls for the shifter/rear brake and i would like to reverd back to the stock position, but of course, dont have the stock rear master/linkage/pedal. Its seems there might be some compatability issues between model years and trim and im wondering if anyone out there knows what years/models i can source parts from?
    Also looking to go to a less swept back handlebar, but that shouldnt be too hard.

Thanks in advance!
    '81 xs special

Originally posted by islandlife View Post
    Hi all, new to the forum and xs11 ownership!

I recently picked up an 81 xs11 special with 28000 kms on it as my first road legal bike (been riding off road for years). So far its been a blast, but there is some stuff id like to change.
    The previous ownder installed forward controls for the shifter/rear brake and i would like to reverd back to the stock position, but of course, dont have the stock rear master/linkage/pedal. Its seems there might be some compatability issues between model years and trim and im wondering if anyone out there knows what years/models i can source parts from?
    Also looking to go to a less swept back handlebar, but that shouldnt be too hard.

Thanks in advance!
    If you can, post up some pictures of the forward control set up, I've only seen the tcbros and that utilizes the stock brake master. Would be interesting to see how this one fits. Also, I have an 81 I'd be Able to source parts from.
    79 F

Comment

here is some pics, as you can see the rear brake forward control uses its own master. the stock one is not on the bike, as well as the foot pedal and pivot/linkage.
      i have no idea what or where this control setup came from.

and one of the bike the day i got it

'81 xs special

Comment

Stock parts should go right on, though the right side/brake pedal MAY have an issue with the exhaust mods that were done. Should be easy to replace the HD rusted chrome for an engine guard with highway pegs. I would look for the S.S. brake line for the rear while your putting in the parts. All you need on the left is a shifter, and most Yamaha ones will fit, though the correct one is always nice.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Ya installing stock parts is no prob. Just wondering what year and model of bikes use the same rear master and pedal assembly. Like will parts from a 78-80 work, does it matter if donor bike is a special or not, etc.
          '81 xs special

Comment

Originally posted by islandlife View Post
            Ya installing stock parts is no prob. Just wondering what year and model of bikes use the same rear master and pedal assembly. Like will parts from a 78-80 work, does it matter if donor bike is a special or not, etc.
            The special pivot and brake pedal are different, the masters are the same except for the shared brake system. Otherwise, I do believe everything else is the same.
            79 F

Comment

So i should be able to use a master from any xs1100, just have to block off front line? As it stands my bike has seperate front/rear brake control, no shared system. Did it have a shared sytem stock? I thought i read that only the midnight special had that
              '81 xs special

Comment

I beleive both the '80 LG & '81 LH along with the '82 XJ had the linked brakes all others are like yours, separate front & rear brakes.
                1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Only the 81LH and the 82-84(US and then Canada later years) XJ11 had the linked. Best/simpler to use the 78-80 MC's. The linked one has a metering valve, so you don't get the same amount of fluid pressure for foot travel using that one vs. the earlier types.

Also, check with Andreas Weiss he's a Canadian parts broker, very fair prices and quick service, GOOD GUY!!

Like Ray said, you may have some difficulty with the foot pedal hitting the muffler, but you can always BEND the pedal a bit to help it clear the muffler!

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Rear brakes

+1 on Andreas. Contact him soon. He will be out for a week or so starting Friday. (8/12) VERY good person to deal with.

Comment

Working...
                    X