New guy, New bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy, New bike

Greetings all. 40 year old ex-circus clown and proud new owner of a 1981 XS11 here.
    Got me a new toy and I wanted to share with you because I have learned so much from this website.
    This site is awesome and a huge thanks to the founders and the webmaster and all the excellant advice in this forum. Thanks!

Here's my baby so far,
    http://members.cox.net/blazefamily/xs11.htm

If any of you watch Monster Garage, yes the robot in that middle picture is the one off the show. I'm the long hair from the Radio controlled race car episode. See ya laters!
    Phoenix Blaze
    www.xe3000.com

'80-XS11 "Renaissance iron"

Finally!

A professional to join us amateur clowns!

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your new ride.

Randy

Comment

Hey, now just wait a minute! Aren't circus clowns supposed to ride itty-bitty motorcycles???
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Just until they grow up, Skids. Then they're allowed to ride with the big boys.

Randy

Comment

I just looked at you bike. Its coming along nicely. Good idea about those heat sinks for the bags. I have a bike with an oil leak near the middle drive. I tried to fix it to no avail. I use a hi-tech drip catcher -- a frizbee. It is easy to slide out of the way so I don't back the front tire through the oil spot...
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Oil drip

I did get that sealed up when I replaced the oil filter. New gasket coated with vaseline. Now I need to get the drain plug to stop leaking. The prior owner did something or changed something so it has 2 washers and won't seat right.

Here's the mini motorcycle btw, lol.

http://members.cox.net/blazefamily/roller.html
            Phoenix Blaze
            www.xe3000.com

Comment

And this tells you how smart I really am. After a couple of hours of trying to get the fairing lined up I realized that it mounts on the main frame and NOT the handlebars. doughp
              Phoenix Blaze
              www.xe3000.com

Comment

Hey there Phoenix,

Congrats and welcome. After looking at it, and seeing your notation that it's an 81 GS, I have to tell you that IF it's an 81, and it sure looks like a SPECIAL, then it's an 81SH, the "G" was for the year 80. You can check your serial number against those listed on the site to verify for sure which year it is!! However, if its Ignition box says 4RO along with the Serial Number, then it's definitely an 81!

You also mentioned wanting to make it a Full Dresser back to Stock? I don't think they made the FULL DRESS in the Special, only in the Standard version cause the Standard has the larger tank for touring distance! But don't let that stop you, folks have put full fairings on Specials, now come to think of it I've seen the Midnight Special decked out in full dress!! Anyway, have fun!!
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks for the welcome!
                  You mentioned checking the serial number. Where is that resource?
                  I just looked at the title again and it didn't have any letters anymore after the body style. Before I transfered it I could've sworn it had at least an S after it. I may be wrong, I have been before. It definately says 1981.

Yeah, I found out I couldn't go really as dressed as I wanted to and still be stock. I'll have to settle for custom. All the fairing brackets I made today are custom anyway so it'll never be stock now. I want to haul a trailer too so I'm gonna beef it up. Craft a heavy front fender with a built in fork brace that looks like articulated armor. Should be cool. Never really had a full dresser and I just feel like building this one up to use as a weekend camping vehicle for the SCA. (It's a group of renaissance geeks)
                  Phoenix Blaze
                  www.xe3000.com

Comment

Re: Oil drip

You might want to put the old washers for the oil plug on the shelf and replace those with a nylon washer. They don't have to be tightened so much and you are less apt to strip out the oil plug. Do resist the temptation to overtighten the plug just to stop the leak!!!

Originally posted by Mnkee
                    I Now I need to get the drain plug to stop leaking. The prior owner did something or changed something so it has 2 washers and won't seat right.
                    http://members.cox.net/blazefamily/roller.html
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

OK I should learn to read. The bike is a 1980 SG. I was looking at the wrong title. That's also why the letters were gone. Man I need some sleep. I found the number search here and verified it. It's a 1980 SG. Is that good or bad? lol
                      Phoenix Blaze
                      www.xe3000.com

Comment

Mnkee- Welcome to the forum. The pics are great. I agree, the bike is coming along very well. As for it being an 80 SG. I think that's a good thing.lol keep up the good work and keep the pics coming.

Kevin
                        "Watchout for the guy behind the guy in front of you"

1980 XS 1100 SG

Comment

New pictures

Got the fairing on and painted. Woohoo! I likey!
                          The new pictures are all the way on the bottom of the page.

http://members.cox.net/blazefamily/xs11.htm
                          Phoenix Blaze
                          www.xe3000.com

Comment

SCA = Society for Creative Anachronism. These are the people you see populating renaissance festivals.

Several of us pull trailers with our bikes. Check the Off-Site Tech Tips pages for more details.

Below is a photo of my XJ and trailer leaving the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in the fall of 2002:

Jerry Fields
                            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                            '06 Concours
                            My Galleries Page.
                            My Blog Page.
                            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Hail and well met.

I am Lord Xavier, formerly of Trimaris since 1981. Now residing in Caid, Barony of Starkhofn.
                              I did the renaissance fairs as a sword swallower/ fire eater but quit a couple years ago. This bike was bought for carrying me and my armor to fighter practice and I have plans on a viking style trailer for camping.
                              Phoenix Blaze
                              www.xe3000.com

Comment

Working...
                              X