Top side tick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top side tick

So I got my cam chain tensioner problem fixed, now there is a terrible tick in the top end. Seems to be in the center of the head, any ideas what's wrong before I tear it apart? Never had one of there torn down yet, little intimidating.... Any advice is good right now. Thanks for all your time guys
    79 XS11 F

Timing chain may be a tooth off, I would remove the valve cover and check the alignment.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

?

Wouldn't that seriously affect the power, it still rolls into the band sharply at 3100 and is strong as it ever was.
      79 XS11 F

Comment

Hard to say if it would. You may have a leak at one of the exhaust ports.
        Last edited by bikerphil; 08-05-2016, 07:53 PM.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

Comment

?

Do u think one of the guides might be warn out cause of the chain being run loose for so long? I mean I'd doesn't studder at all, 0 hesitation, idols smooth, not chewing up plugs. It sounds rotational.
          79 XS11 F

Comment

Originally posted by rangerguy302 View Post
            Do u think one of the guides might be warn out cause of the chain being run loose for so long?
            I wouldn't think so. Maybe your chain is still loose, it should have 1/4" of stretch at the top bridge between the cams when it is adjusted properly.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

noise.

The 78/79 motors had a larger shim tolerance so the top end of these motors are clickety, clckety noisey if the adjustement is correct. We typically check the shim clearance when they get quiet. Phil makes some good points though. It's always a good idea to check the alignment dots on the cams. When you do, look at the bridge between sprockets is in correctly and redo the CCT adjustment before you put the cover back on .Follow the procedure but don't worry too much about the c mark if it's still a bit loose, turn the wrench a bit more until the chain lays flat and tight to the bridge, then release the tensioner. That will ensure all the slack is under the plunger at the back of the motor. The other good point is at the headers, make sure they are all tight.
              mack
              79 XS 1100 SF Special
              HERMES
              original owner
              http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
              SPICA
              http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
              IOTA
              https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
              https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
              Frankford, Ont, Canada
              613-398-6186

Comment

Originally posted by rangerguy302 View Post
                So I got my cam chain tensioner problem fixed, now there is a terrible tick in the top end. Seems to be in the center of the head, any ideas what's wrong before I tear it apart? Never had one of there torn down yet, little intimidating.... Any advice is good right now. Thanks for all your time guys
                Pull the valve cover and as stated check timing mark alignment and that the chain is properly adjusted. Check the manual for adjustment procedure.

While you're there also check your valve clearances.

It's not intimidating at all once you're in there. These bikes are the easiest to work on I've ever experienced.

BTW, I'm from Montana. Grew up around Great Falls and lived in Billings for 20+ years before moving down here. Still have my oldest son, Greg Jr., and my mom living there. My sorta step son Kile Mcquirk owns The TopKut Barbershop there.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Another thought.

When I first got my SG I had a loud ticking under the valve cover also. I pulled the valve cover to check the valve clearances and found that the PO had loosened the cam caps for some reason and hadn't properly torqued them down again. Several caps were loose and 2 of the cap nuts had fallen off.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                  X