Need a known working TCI or a repair source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a known working TCI or a repair source

I need a working 2H7-10 TCI for a 1980 SG or a link to a reputable repair site. I tried to PM Davinci but got a notice he was not taking messages. Any help is greatly appreciated as I think this thing would run if it only had a brain.
    1980 xs1100SG "Silent Killer"
    1948 HD FL "Thin Mint"
    1978 FLH 80 "Grumpy"
    1960 HD FLH Duo "Blue" (w/family in Sacramento)
    1986 Honda CMX 450 (51hp rat sleeper) SOLD

I have one I can send you to try but most likely you're having a pick up coil issue or a voltage issue.

First thing to do is see if you have at least 10 volts to the red/white wires to the coils
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

11.6v throughout system, at coils and tci especially, and 750 ohms at the pickups. The voltage isn't switching according to non flickering test light at orange and gray at TCI. Sorry, have this info in another thread (carb related) if you want details. Put on dyna dc1-1 coils, did a quick run and the next morning no spark. Put this request out in case someone not reading that thread might help out. Would surely appreciate the loan of a known good unit. In communication with an outfit in California called regulatorrectifier.com. This is what they say:
      Hello,
      Yes we repair the ignition unit for your bike. Another customer just sent his in for this same bike. If you are interested in sending it in, please use this attached form and send us an email when it has been sent off. If its repairable then its $185, if its not repairable then there is no cost.

Anyway, I really appreciate the offer. Let me know how to proceed and I will respond. As certain as I can be that the bike is wired properly, it started right up and I got a test run out of it before the no spark condition. The headlight did not come on after the coil install though. Don't know if that is a concern, but the light did illuminate before.
      Last edited by Barbarosa; 08-01-2016, 12:01 PM.
      1948 HD FL "Thin Mint"
      1978 FLH 80 "Grumpy"

Comment

What is the ohm reading in the primary winding of the coils?
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

3 ohms on both. And I am liking these coils better already. Easy access to take readings directly from coils to confirm the TCI voltage. Didn't check caps and wires, seems redundant unless they went bad from sitting in the garage overnight lol.
          Last edited by Barbarosa; 08-01-2016, 12:47 PM.
          1948 HD FL "Thin Mint"
          1978 FLH 80 "Grumpy"

Comment

Do you still have the ballast resistor on there? It's not needed with the 3 ohm coils.
            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Sometimes the terminals in the 4 wire connector plug at the TCI get stretched open enough to not make good contact. If this is the case, the TCI will not get a reading from the P/U coils. You can tighten them up by taking them out of the connector block one at a time and closing them up with a pliers, I have had this happen and it wasn't easy finding this problem. The terminals get stretched open by being unplugged many times over, cleaning them, probing them for testing, etc.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Ballast removed, lead wires connected and insulated.
                1948 HD FL "Thin Mint"
                1978 FLH 80 "Grumpy"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                  Sometimes the terminals in the 4 wire connector plug at the TCI get stretched open enough to not make good contact. If this is the case, the TCI will not get a reading from the P/U coils. You can tighten them up by taking them out of the connector block one at a time and closing them up with a pliers, I have had this happen and it wasn't easy finding this problem. The terminals get stretched open by being unplugged many times over, cleaning them, probing them for testing, etc.
                  Haven't tried that and will give it a go this evening.
                  1948 HD FL "Thin Mint"
                  1978 FLH 80 "Grumpy"

Comment

PM me your address.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Have one on the way. I appreciate ya"ll
                      1948 HD FL "Thin Mint"
                      1978 FLH 80 "Grumpy"

Comment

It was the tip over switch, go figure. Removed it and went for a 20+ mile ride. Ran well and accelerated smoothly through the gears and romped from 25 to 80 mph without any stumbling, but when I checked the plugs they were still sooty. Didn’t start dropping cylinders in a mile or so like before so the new coils must be firing better than the old ones. Anyway, the carbs are off again so I could pull a bowl to see if it needed a passage plug and confirmed it’s not drilled for one. I know carb cleaner will make it through all the passages. They have been soaked, sonic cleaned, and blown out with compressed air. All components are stock mikuni except the float valves and they hold the bowl level within spec when clear tube tested and do not show leaking when on the test stand. In my experience any blockage in fuel passages creates a lean condition and any leaks where excess air can get through will create a lean mix as well. Is there somewhere on these carbs that if not clean enough can cause a rich mixture instead of blocking off the fuel like it’s supposed to lol?
                        1948 HD FL "Thin Mint"
                        1978 FLH 80 "Grumpy"

Comment

Did you open your plug gap a bit when you installed the new coils? .035 or so should do it. Probably not what's causing the soot though. My guess would be carb adjustment or jetting. A colortune plug can sure come in handy to see what's going on in the combustion chambers. JAT

Fayetteville AR? I have a cousin in Rogers. MAN you guys have a LOT of chicken farms down there!
                          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

and hog farms.........
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                              Did you open your plug gap a bit when you installed the new coils? .035 or so should do it. Probably not what's causing the soot though. My guess would be carb adjustment or jetting. A colortune plug can sure come in handy to see what's going on in the combustion chambers. JAT

Fayetteville AR? I have a cousin in Rogers. MAN you guys have a LOT of chicken farms down there!
                              I set them at .34 and yes there are a lot of chicken farms. And the hog farms are making a comeback since Tyson scaled way back. They actually had minimum standards that jacked up the costs and drove their little guys out of business because they couldn't afford to build modern facilities. Now corporate Ag is taking over and there is a lot of pollution building up. The trick is knowing which roads to take to avoid the smell of money being made by people that don't live here.
                              1948 HD FL "Thin Mint"
                              1978 FLH 80 "Grumpy"

Comment

Working...
                              X