Mysterious melting alt connector..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mysterious melting alt connector..

I had the seat off my bike today because I had to fix a shock that had started leaking. Since I had fixed a melted alternator/regulator connecter last year I decided to go ahead and lift the tank and check that also. Good thing.

I discovered that it was about to do the same thing again. The connector was beginning to melt again in the same spot.

I noticed something else this time though. The wire was discolored on the harness side about 1/2 inch from the connector.

Upon closer inspection I saw that the wire had been somehow damaged and was barely connected inside the insulation. Mystery solved.

I'll cut it and repair it at the weak spot and that should resolve that and hopefully some of my crazy jumpy tach issue I've been fighting for a while.
    Last edited by BA80; 07-30-2016, 07:39 PM.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

"good thing" indeed.

At first it looked to me like some re-entry burn after coming off those Rocky Mountain high thin atmosphere elevations. Like streaking across Kansas to Ivan's and getting intense low elevation dense atmosphere friction heating. Better check your thermal heat tiles up front on the fairing too.

Sure glad you saw that then saw the wire problem too. Good catch.

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Yeah, it could have been the re-entry or the friction from the high speed in the dense air, but, it was the wire.

After I repaired the one white wire I started it and the RED wire was getting hot so I fixed it too.

After that just the wires coming off the regulator were warming up which is pretty normal since the regulator gets pretty warm when it's working.

I'll check it again in a few weeks.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        I had the seat off my bike today because I had to fix a shock that had started leaking. Since I had fixed a melted alternator/regulator connecter last year I decided to go ahead and lift the tank and check that also. Good thing.

I discovered that it was about to do the same thing again. The connector was beginning to melt again in the same spot.

I noticed something else this time though. The wire was discolored on the harness side about 1/2 inch from the connector.

Upon closer inspection I saw that the wire had been somehow damaged and was barely connected inside the insulation. Mystery solved.

I'll cut it and repair it at the weak spot and that should resolve that and hopefully some of my crazy jumpy tach issue I've been fighting for a while.
        So see, knew at some point the notorious electrical issue was gonna at least nip back at you.
        Glad you saw and were able to make necessary repairs..........otherwise, would of turned ugly for even more repairs as I'm sure you knew.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          So see, knew at some point the notorious electrical issue was gonna at least nip back at you.
          Yup, pretty safe bet with 35 year old wiring.

Where can I get replacement wire ends. That was the issue with the red wire, a poor connection between the wire and the end.
          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Hot Wire

Best fix may be to splice around the connector. Check your grounds too. I would suspect a problem there. A lot of current + a lot of resistance = a lot of heat.
            1981 XS1100H Venturer
            K&N Air Filter
            ACCT
            Custom Paint by Deitz
            Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
            Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
            Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
            Stebel Nautilus Horn
            EBC Front Rotors
            Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Already checked all the grounds Mike, thanks. Looking for wire ends that'll fit in the OEM connectors. Would rather do it that way than cobble it up.
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

They are called open barrel terminals, Geezer has them or maybe you can find them local somewhere. Of course you will need an open barrel type crimper. Look on this page...

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/connectors.html
                Last edited by bikerphil; 07-30-2016, 09:49 PM.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks Phil, it's a starting point. I don't mind buying tools, I can always use them at work too.
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Connectors from Geezer work VERY WELL! I've used them a LOT over the past few years, and never had a problem. I do have a tool I picked up from him, and it does work well.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Geezer still around?
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Yes, he's around. I email him every now & then about electrical stuff. If you want to upgrade, go with the GM Weatherpak connectors.
                        1979 XS1100F
                        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Wow, Greg!
                          That would have been double trouble if yours had went down along with Bohn's in Co.

Makes me wonder if it's corrosion issue that causes that, or the connector can't handle the ampacity?

Russ had recently replaced the entire connector with a proper new one on Bohn's, yet it not only fried it again, it burned one of the stator wires off the connector. Bohn mentioned he thought his had started charging wide open just before his voltmeter read 10 volts.

Interesting yours has burned the connection, too.
                          Bohn wants that harness, stator, and reg/rec off Harry's old MNS.
                          I just need to get by there and get it.
                          Bohn says just let him know what you want for all that.
                          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                            Yes, he's around. I email him every now & then about electrical stuff. If you want to upgrade, go with the GM Weatherpak connectors.
                            As I said, I don't want to cobble it. I want to keep the stock connectors in case a component needs replacing on the road. OEM connectors will make it plug and play without a bunch of "upgrading" to make it fit.

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                            Wow, Greg!
                            That would have been double trouble if yours had went down along with Bohn's in Co.

Makes me wonder if it's corrosion issue that causes that, or the connector can't handle the ampacity?

Russ had recently replaced the entire connector with a proper new one on Bohn's, yet it not only fried it again, it burned one of the stator wires off the connector. Bohn mentioned he thought his had started charging wide open just before his voltmeter read 10 volts.

Interesting yours has burned the connection, too.
                            Bohn wants that harness, stator, and reg/rec off Harry's old MNS.
                            I just need to get by there and get it.
                            Bohn says just let him know what you want for all that.
                            I cut out a piece of the wire and soldered in an undamaged section with the white wire. Did the same with the red one since it seemed the wire wasn't making a good connection inside the crimp in the wire end and when the other was fixed it got REAL hot when the alt was running. It all seems good for now.

Possibly it's the wire ends on Bohns bike too. It seems the one on my red wire was corroded inside the crimp.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                              Yup, pretty safe bet with 35 year old wiring.

Where can I get replacement wire ends. That was the issue with the red wire, a poor connection between the wire and the end.
                              Might want to take a look at cycleterminal.com. They sell connector kits, and with all the work you do on these old machines, it might be the best way to go. I have two of their kits - 2.3mm and 6.3mm, IIRC - and that gives you just about every connector you're likely to need. And the kits come with a little tool to release wires from connectors, which comes in handy.
                              I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
                              X