No announcement yet.

XS Southeast 2016 or Bust!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would use a smaller diameter tube on the "X" in front. If not, you WILL have problems with the headers, as in room for the wrenches. IF you keep it to 2/3 the diameter of the main down tubes, you should be OK.
    For the swingarm, look at T.C.'s thread on Godzilla's rebuild. He is bracing the frame as well, and has some good picks of small flats that will help keep things from moving in corners.
    Other than that, keep posting! I hope to start my '78 later this year, if life will stay out of the way....
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw4shrt View Post
      So yesterday I got some PVC pipe and started laying out how I wanted to brace the frame. I like the solution I came up with in the front, but I still need to figure out how I'm going to do these swingarm mounts. I still have the rear of the bike to layout too but I'm not so much worried about that. Now I just need to pick up a good tube notcher and they are a little more expensive than I thought they would be...

Decent idea, but there will be no flex between those four mounting points anyways......the flex comes from lower frame portion on back to swing-arm mount of frame.
      Also, be aware of limited if any, clearance for cam chain adjuster.......and its need for removal of a couple inches or more.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

What I meant to say was...

Sooo... what I meant to say was XS Southeast 2017 or Bust! I got off to a blazing start back in August and then life happened. My commitments at work evaporated my time and it wasn't till February when I was able to do any work on it again. Having said that, I finished up the fabrication and welding today and it's off for final welding and powder coating!

So I was able to finish the swingarm pivot mounts and I have to say that I think they came out great. Everything lined up and was level and I'm really excited to get the rear end put back together.

I also notched some tubing and made a second cross frame brace in the rear that I welded some tabs on and is the mounting point for the new seat.

And the most nerve racking thing that I did was replace the rear shock mounts. The stock mounts as they sat on the frame were too narrow. The XJR1300 swingarm is much wider in order to accommodate a larger wheel and chain, and using the stock mounting locations really pinched the shocks in and prevented me from running a chain guard (a no no if I ever decide to try a track day with it). I bought new shock mounts from Dime City Cycles which are wider and much more robust and I think they turned out perfect. I have to say though, boring through the frame with a 1 inch router was nerve racking and painful. I lost the drill twice where the router grabbed and the drill decided to turn out from hand rather than through metal and the back of my hand and wrist took a real beating, but it's worth it I guess.

Overall, I'm excited to see how it turns out. I don't remember the paint code, but I'm having like a gloss matte black put on the frame and on all the other parts I could have done (triple clamps, footpegs, headlight bucket, etc.).
        2005 YZF-R1
        2002 XV1700 Warrior
        1981 XS1100H

Comment

Unless you like sleeping in a tent, you had best commit with a reservation at the Iron Horse. It's getting to be real slim pickin's. I'd love to see that bike in September.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
            Unless you like sleeping in a tent, you had best commit with a reservation at the Iron Horse. It's getting to be real slim pickin's. I'd love to see that bike in September.
            Good to know. I was planning on bringing the camper anyway, I'll try and call over there today and reserve an RV spot. I hope that I'll be able to show you the bike this year!
            2005 YZF-R1
            2002 XV1700 Warrior
            1981 XS1100H

Comment

so I had a little free time this weekend while I wait for the frame to come back from powder coating and I decided to try and clean the rust of the tank. honestly, there wasn't too much, but more than enough to warrant a cleaning, so I thought I would give it a go. I didn't want to mess with muriatic acid or anything expensive, so I just went with apple cider vinegar. $3 a gallon from walmart had me sold, so we'll see how it looks in a few days/week from now.

2005 YZF-R1
              2002 XV1700 Warrior
              1981 XS1100H

Comment

Working...
              X