1980 MNS Brake Hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 MNS Brake Hose

I was moving my 1980 MNS 2 weeks ago, and slipped and fell over (and broke 3 ribs). I made a few scratches in the bike, bit nothing too major, except that i Bent the heck out of my brake hose (the one that connects to the handlebar front brake lever).

It doesn't look too safe, so I thought I'd err on the side of caution and replace it.

Anyone have a recommendation for one?
    I found this one: will it work? http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...eel-brake-line
    80 LG

XjBikes.com / XJ4Ever.com "LEN"

http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/thread...-brakes.44636/

ATracklser,
    I highly recommend using SS lines from "LEN". He's a supporting vendor on the XJBikes.Com web-site. I believe his website is XJ4EVER.com.

The link above is to his pages on the XJ website. It is honestly terribly difficult to navigate. BUT, somewhere in there he has most likely listed the line you need and the line will be DOT compliant (unlike many others available). The line will likely be a LITTLE more pricey than other stuff you could buy including that "Universal" item you found. But, the quality is great and it WILL FIT CORRECTLY!

If you have trouble you can shoot him an e-mail at: Info@xj4ever.com

Kurt
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Thanks, email shot over.
      80 LG

Comment

i used these

and they work and fit great. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-St...cAAOSw0fhXkGOj
        2 - 80 LGs bought one new
        81 LH
        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
        22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
        Jim

Comment

I found them..... These are the part# for 1980 MNS

Originally posted by ATracksler View Post
          Thanks, email shot over.
          Just an FYI. I have SS Russell lines, SS XJBikes (Len) lines, and SS Galfer Lines on my XS11's (3). I recently made the mistake of buying the Galfers and will post a product evaluation ASAP. I saved a few bucks but the Galfers are (in my opinion) not the same quality level of those offered by Len. Russell's have been discontinued for YEARS but NOS items are still out there. Russell's are top quality too, just not made anymore.

Here are the part numbers I found for the 1980 MNS. Len's parts listing is difficult to navigate but since I've bought from him before It wasn't too bad.

1980 XS1100 Midnight Special model:
          Master Cylinder and Caliper Lines:

HCP18694BLKST Aftermarket DOT-approved braided stainless steel BRAKE LINE ASSEMBLY, from the front master cylinder to the distribution joint on the lower steering bracket, with black sheathing.
          $ 54.95

HCP18694CLRST Aftermarket DOT-approved braided stainless steel BRAKE LINE ASSEMBLY, from the front master cylinder to the distribution joint on the lower steering bracket, with clear sheathing.
          $ 54.95

If I'm not mistaken (and I might be) the MNS has a joined brake system so lines from a regular XS11 may not ALL be the same? Someone else can clarify but I thought the MNS rear was joined to the Left Front? Again, someone with more knowledge of the MNS will need to chime in. I don't believe this particular line would be any different for any of the 11's. Maybe Cajun just did? Seems he has an LG also and would know that a lot better than I ever will.

Respectfully,
          Kurt
          Last edited by kboehringer; 07-24-2016, 04:42 PM.
          Kurt Boehringer
          Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
          1978 - SR500 - Thumper
          1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
          1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
          1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
          1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
          1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
          1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
          1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
          1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
          1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
          1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
          2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

I know on my mns 81 it is rear to left. Front to right.
            81 LH in process
            09 vstar 1300
            only allowed 2

Comment

Originally posted by kboehringer View Post
              ... If I'm not mistaken (and I might be) the MNS has a joined brake system so lines from a regular XS11 may not ALL be the same? Someone else can clarify but I thought the MNS rear was joined to the Left Front? Again, someone with more knowledge of the MNS will need to chime in. I don't believe this particular line would be any different for any of the 11's. Maybe Cajun just did? Seems he has an LG also and would know that a lot better than I ever will.
              Originally posted by aquamantx View Post
              I know on my mns 81 it is rear to left. Front to right.
              The '80 MNS did not have the linked braking system ... but as aquamantx pointed out, the '81 MNS did indeed have a linked system.

On the LH, depressing the rear brake pedal activated the rear caliper and the left front caliper.
              Marco

Current bikes:
              1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
              1979 Honda CBX
              2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
              WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

I personally fit all of the lines that XJ4ever sells. Took a long time to accomplish, but every one fits perfectly.
                2-79 XS1100 SF
                2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                  I personally fit all of the lines that XJ4ever sells. Took a long time to accomplish, but every one fits perfectly.
                  And thank you for that! I'll be getting another full set for my '79 Special after I finish the '80G.

-- Scott
                  _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                  1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                  1979 XS1100F: parts
                  2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                  X