Base gasket woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go for it

Can't delete this accidental post, redundant with the message below.
    Last edited by Radioguylogs; 03-20-2017, 10:48 AM. Reason: Redundant
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Go for it

Ian:

Once you've bought a new head gasket, and you have the jugs off, it seems like a huge missed opportunity not to hone the cylinders and put in new rings....unless your engine has less than 20k miles.

Ball hone is easy and nearly fool-proof.

Kurt is pleased with the rings he bought from Cruzin' Image for $50.

I'd lap the valves an put in new valve seals too. I can loan the valve compression tool if you need it, since I know where to find you! I'll borrow your Color Tune for collateral.

However, I understand. Sometimes, you just want to get the job done and not get side tracked by extra effort and $$$. (Todd would rebuild the whole engine "while he was at it".)

I'm in the cheering section (Go for it, Ian!).
      -Mike
      _________
      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
        My 2cents...

Concerning base gaskets...

My personal experience has been this-

There are a couple of choices for those gaskets... the "green" ones that come in a multi-gasket kit, or the individual base gasket from Yamaha.

Multi-gasket kit price= $50
        Yamaha Base gasket = $50.

But, take it from me, cheaping out here may cost you big in the near future!
        On the back side, at the center of the base, you will see a 2" section that juts out. Those green kit gaskets are thinner material, there seems to be a lack of head bolt sealing pressure in that area, and even though the oil's not under much pressure in that area, the green gaskets WILL blow out not long after you put it together, and you WILL have a huge, messy oil leak there!

The Yamaha gasket is thicker, and does seal much better.

Now, you might use 3bond with the green gasket and have luck, or you may just use 3bond ONLY and get lucky. But, after what I went through after using the green gasket, I'd spend the money and get the Yamaha gasket. In the end, it's cheap insurance.

I'll tell ya this much... oil leaks on a bike SUCKS! Lol...
        YMMV, though... just advice from someone who's BTDT. (May only be worth 2 cents??)

Bob
        Hey Bob-

I found a few sellers on eBay with "green" gaskets, and he claimed it's OEM. What do you say?

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/391575875892
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
          Ian:

Once you've bought a new head gasket, and you have the jugs off, it seems like a huge missed opportunity not to hone the cylinders and put in new rings....unless your engine has less than 20k miles.

Ball hone is easy and nearly fool-proof.

Kurt is pleased with the rings he bought from Cruzin' Image for $50.

I'd lap the valves an put in new valve seals too. I can loan the valve compression tool if you need it, since I know where to find you! I'll borrow your Color Tune for collateral.

However, I understand. Sometimes, you just want to get the job done and not get side tracked by extra effort and $$$. (Todd would rebuild the whole engine "while he was at it".)

I'm in the cheering section (Go for it, Ian!).
          Hey Mike-

I just had headwork done on the bike the other year, so that takes care of that. Putting rings and honing the cylinders is not above my knowledge, just have not done it since high school. You got me thinking.
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Genuine Yamaha head gasket bought for $12.99. Rings are being contemplated . . .
            1979 XS1100F

Comment

Nice!

I'm used to $80-$100 for a NOS head gasket- nice find!
              -Mike
              _________
              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

I'm used to $80-$100 for a NOS head gasket- nice find!
                Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/381878407394
                1979 XS1100F

Comment

Ian:

I think that is a base gasket, not a head gasket?

Maybe that was what you were referring to. I was referring to the head gasket.

I was thinking about the incremental cost/work for honing&rings after the head and cylinders were already off.
                  -Mike
                  _________
                  '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                  '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                  '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                  '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

Ian:

I think that is a base gasket, not a head gasket?

Maybe that was what you were referring to. I was referring to the head gasket.

I was thinking about the incremental cost/work for honing&rings after the head and cylinders were already off.
                    Yup, base gasket. My leak is at the base gasket, which I believe is the most common leak besides the CCT leak.

When I pulled the cylinder head the other year for work, I put a new head gasket on (Vesrah). I don't have any leaks there. Come to think of it, I have an extra base gasket, lol. I guess it's okay to have spare
                    1979 XS1100F

Comment

Full disclosure: I have not worked on the XS1100 with regards to a base gasket.

With the XS1100, being there is a known point that typically leaks, I would simply put a bit thicker amount at that point, let it sit the correct amount of time after tightening it down and go ride. If it truly does not get compressed quite as much, the thicker sealant will make up that difference. As there is no real pressure down there, like has been said, I don't see how it could "blow out". I.E. sealing that area a bit thicker to start, should eliminate the problem.

My experiences with the ZRX 1200 and the base gasket removal is that it sealed up just fine, I am sure the XS1100 could benefit from .5 point compression bump with no problems on piston to valve or piston to head issues.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                        Full disclosure: I have not worked on the XS1100 with regards to a base gasket.

With the XS1100, being there is a known point that typically leaks, I would simply put a bit thicker amount at that point, let it sit the correct amount of time after tightening it down and go ride. If it truly does not get compressed quite as much, the thicker sealant will make up that difference. As there is no real pressure down there, like has been said, I don't see how it could "blow out". I.E. sealing that area a bit thicker to start, should eliminate the problem.

My experiences with the ZRX 1200 and the base gasket removal is that it sealed up just fine, I am sure the XS1100 could benefit from .5 point compression bump with no problems on piston to valve or piston to head issues.
                        Yeah, I am contemplating on using sealant in-conjuction with the gasket.
                        1979 XS1100F

Comment

Anyone know the compression increase with deleting the base gasket?
                          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                            Anyone know the compression increase with deleting the base gasket?
                            Not sure what the numbers would be on compression Howard but it would be like shaving about .010 off the surface of the head. That's quite an improvement over the top surface of the piston.

Just be sure you put new O rings around the bottom of the cylinders and a good coat of GOOD sealant at the mating surface.
                            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Thanks for the info Greg. Not looking to do it on my SG however having just done a bunch to my ZRX it's fun to know for comparison.

Hey, did your bike suffer performance issues after the rally? You mentioned that in another thread. When we were talking about the crazy engine heat.
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

I took a returning rider MSF course last year with my Yammy. It was 70+ degrees, and muggy. I had to turn the bike off for an exercise due to it running so hot! It ran like it was on three cylinders. It did not run very well going home. The next day, it seemed okay.
                                1979 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                                X