A Sixth Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Sixth Gear

Just discovered xs11.com today. Love my 81 XS1100 Special. Have had it for 3 years, but have always felt that it needed one more gear. The RPMs are just a little high for my taste at say .... 70 or 75 mph on the interstate. It's making me think about a big V-twin like the Kawasaki Nomad.

Here's the question. Does anyone know of an aftermarket kit, etc. that can change the gearing to make things a little smoother and less 'screaming' at sustained high speeds?

Thanks!

There is a guy in Australia that has made a chain conversion kit, you could swap spockets to get any ratio you wanted but they were $900 or so if I remember right. Other than that I have not heard of anything...I can dig up his name if you are really interested.
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Thanks for the reply. My 1100 is a shaft drive. Any other ideas out there?

Comment

"any other ideas?" Nope! - that's it!

you want 6th gear? welcome to the club! Cain't do it unless you go to chain drive, and that costs too much. So, if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with!

btw, I have a Bandit 1200, so does Gary, chain drive. see This Thread (the most viewed thread so far on this site ) or This Thread
        Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Try changing the tire/rim size. this will help change your final drive, but not a whole lot. you do the math on that. someone here in the forum may have already done this. I am looking for a set of Xj maxim wheels to install over the winter, the spiral ones. I rode about 80mph on my 81 eleven special for about 50 miles on the freeway sunday, so i know what you mean (screamin down the highway. A real good machinist could make differnt ring/pinions to change gear ratio but it would cost way to much. from my past experience most motorcycles could use a 6th gear. we actually need overdrive 6th. not gonna happen' though.
          so till then, get a better seat, quiter helment, and fill the bars with shot. throw in some comfy grips.
          Bill Woods
          1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
          1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
          2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

Yes, some have installed the 17" standard wheel on a Special (16"). It is a teeny bit better, but you're still wanting 6th.
            Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Working...
            X