No announcement yet.

Where is the voltage going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cleaned up all the ground points and increased the size of a few of the gauge wires, that has eliminated the smoking ground problem. Thanks! Any ideas about the voltage problem?
    80G

Comment

Are we sure we do not have a carburettor problem
      Just to inject a little humor to what is obviously a very frustrating process of elimination. Keep chasing Aggie you will catch that little gremlin
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by AggiesaurusRex View Post
        I cleaned up all the ground points and increased the size of a few of the gauge wires, that has eliminated the smoking ground problem. Thanks! Any ideas about the voltage problem?
        Refer to post #5.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Another question, should my stator cover be warm when troubleshooting the mysterious drop? This is when the bikes not running, it's not turning over, only the key is switche'd and the cover gets fairly warm.
          80G

Comment

Hey there,

The Reg/Rect controls the current to the Stator Cover=Field Coil. It should send full 12V to it with key on, once the bike is started/running, the Reg/Rect then senses how much current/voltage is being produced by the ALT, and varies the amount by controlling how much gets to ground and therefore, how much voltage runs thru the Field coil. Less voltage for less power need, more for more charging power needed.

The field coil generates a strong magnetic field that the Stator uses to create the AC current in the Stator windings that go to the Reg/Rect where it gets changed into DC for the battery.

Heat is generated in electrical circuits due to resistance. The field coil shouldn't necessarily create a lot of heat when in use, but it is powered when you turn the key on, and so when left ON for minutes, I guess it could warm up some. It's hard to speak from experience because that cover usually gets quite warm due to the ENGINE running and producing a lot of heat.

So...I'll defer this to the electrical GURUS Scott/3Phase, CaptonZap, Randy, etc. to provide more insight on just how warm/hot the field coil should get when energized WITHOUT the engine running?

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I am probably wrong about this, but I think the xs11 alternator wiring only has electrical current induced when the rotor is turning. The magnetic field coil should have current with the key on. I would check the magnetic field with a small piece of iron against the case cover with the key on in case there is a short.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                clean ALL connection on the bike, including ALL the ground connections.
                This is the best advice you can give to anyone getting an old bike. It's amazing how many problems are caused by weak or bad connections.

I once bought a really nice bike cheap because it had no spark. Someone had custom wired it and the electronic ignition had be grounded to (get this) a rubber mounted part...

Tony
                Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
                X