She runs, time for mods!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She runs, time for mods!

So after my last thread of the horrors of getting this bike to run right, and after being visited by the wizard of the east, eastcoaster, im finally in the home stretch. She runs smooth and just needs a little mixture tuning for plug color.
    Now that means I can work on asthetics! And my first real project that I wanted to undertake was a guage swap. I have a set of guages off of a 79 special that i going to mount on, but I ran into a snag...
    After consulting the wiring diagrams in the clymer manual, im still lost as to how to hook what up where. Just the tach lights confuse me, let alone why theres 4 wires to the speedo... Heck, i cant even FIND the speedo connector on the sf diagram. I know its probably right in front of me, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

BONUS bike pic cuz why not
    1979 XS1100F "Roxy" (my first bike ) - '91 Suzuki GSX1100 Fairing, BMW bags, Cheap ABS Trunk, aftermarket cruiser seat, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Heavy Duty folding kickstart, XS11 Special signals and gauges, Blade Fuse Conversion, Dynacoil Greens w/ ballast bypass, SS brake lines

The grn/wht and blk/wht wires in the speedo plug are for the reed switch which is used for the turn signal self cancel feature. The blu and blk wires run to the bulbs for gauge illumination.

Here is a color wire diagram for the 79SF if you don't have one...

http://www.xs11.com/images/stories/food/79sfwire02.jpg
    Last edited by bikerphil; 07-03-2016, 09:12 AM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Fuel Sensor?

Originally posted by sethhope View Post
      I have a set of guages off of a 79 special that i going to mount on, but I ran into a snag...
      Seth,
      How you going to handle the fuel level sender vs. the low level warning sensor? Not sure how that's gonna work if you don't make the change? You probably need a tank sensor from a special too.

KURT
      Kurt Boehringer
      Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
      1978 - SR500 - Thumper
      1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
      1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
      1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
      1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
      1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
      1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
      1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
      1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
      2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Originally posted by kboehringer View Post
        Seth,
        How you going to handle the fuel level sender vs. the low level warning sensor? Not sure how that's gonna work if you don't make the change? You probably need a tank sensor from a special too.

KURT

I was googling around a bit and found a post here somewhere that it works with the same sensor because they are both based on level resistance.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30332
        Post #7
        1979 XS1100F "Roxy" (my first bike ) - '91 Suzuki GSX1100 Fairing, BMW bags, Cheap ABS Trunk, aftermarket cruiser seat, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Heavy Duty folding kickstart, XS11 Special signals and gauges, Blade Fuse Conversion, Dynacoil Greens w/ ballast bypass, SS brake lines

Comment

If the seat is in decent shape and you want something different I am looking for that style seat! I have one to trade.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
            If the seat is in decent shape and you want something different I am looking for that style seat! I have one to trade.
            Sorry but im not parting with it... the po gave it to me as an extra when i got the bike. It had never been used prior to me putting it on.... i have an almost new stock seat, however...

Comment

Really nice looking

Dunno if you post 'pre' pics or not but the bike looks really nice now.
              Congratulations on the work you have done!
              79 SF & 80 LG MNS
              73 & 74 RD 350's
              73 Honda CL 450
              Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

Originally posted by Gmac View Post
                Dunno if you post 'pre' pics or not but the bike looks really nice now.
                Congratulations on the work you have done!
                No real "before" pics on this one. I brought her home disassembled. When i put her back together, this is what she looked like. 99% of the work has been in the wiring and carbs

Comment

Ok. So i spent some time on the diagrams more... how does the tach work?? In both the f amd sf diagrams, it shows just tach lights and the fuel indicator. In the 1980 diagram, it shows a tach. I took the back off my tach, and the colors dont line up with anything on the diagrams for 79, but match up perfectly with the 80.. the plugs match the 79 however.... its like a mysterybox atm...

Comment

Hey Seth,

Looks like others are busy trying to enjoy the 4th!? It's raining here, so no fun outside!
                    The Tach is ELECTRONIC, not mechanical. The white wire that goes to it is the TRIGGER wire from the ALTernator. It counts the pulses from 1 leg/phase of the 3 phase ALT, and correlates that into RPM's. The other wires are just power and for lights.

T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Got the gauges in!
                      Pic dump just cuz

Comment

Working...
                      X