Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible Repair options!

Hey there folks,

I am requesting that those of you with busted Star Plates to send them to me. My Machinist friend/Xsive would like to look into the possibility of being able to repair them. This also brings up a little discussion as well!

He says that it depends on how they are made as to whether we can fix them. If they are cast aluminum, then we can weld them and they will be as strong as before. However, if they were machined and then hardened, they can loose their hardended strength thru the heating exposure required to weld them ~ 1300 degrees!!

For as easy as they are to break, my bets are that they are cast, and then lightly machined to make smooth, but not necessarily hardened!? Any gurus(Geezer?) with any ideas or info about this?

Another option is that we can make some casting molds and recast them. Then the fun comes with transferring and fitting the throwout bearing!?

So, just like Randy with the TCI's, if you have a busted StarPlate, if you could send it to me(PM/email me to get my Snail Addy), then we can work on this. IF we are able to repair them and have them as strong or stronger than OEM, then we'll let you know how much it will cost to do so, so that in the future, if folks want to get one fixed, we'll be able to help, especially since they are becomining more scarce by the day!!!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Then again, if we have someone with access to CNC 'technology', that looks like it would be a fairly simple piece to carve out of billet aluminum. Hmmmm......
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Hey Ken,

My Machinist friend does have CNC technology, but I still need at least one broken one to determine whether the bearing can be removed and transplanted after the IF of cutting one out of billet!? And regrettably, he doesn't offer his services for free, he has to pay rent for his shop and such, so repairing one might be much cheaper!?
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
        X