horn for 82 XJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• horn for 82 XJ

In need of a horn for 82 XJ1100. The PO installed an oil cooler and removed the horn. Any details on the connections would be helpful too. I've got (4) open connectors at the front of bike, assuming at least (2) are for the horn???

Tom B.

horn

all 4 should be for horn(s). xj has dual horns on it.At least mine did.might need to fabricate brkt. to mount them if cooler is on.also might have to lenghten the wires mine barely stretched to the horns stock.
    1982 XJ 1100
    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

p.s,

you can get horns almost anywere,jc whitney,dennis kirk,local bike shop the list goes on.They only cost around 10-14 dollars new at local bike shop.
      1982 XJ 1100
      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Tom, check out this link I posted some time ago.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=2

Comment

I put a set of air horns on the Mongrel. They don't look stock but they sure get people the hell out of my space.

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

air horns

That sounds pretty interesting! Have a photo you could send??

Harley guys say "loud pipes save lives" but I think the horn would surely get peoples attention.

Tom B.

Comment

Yeah, Geezer, I'd like to see that too. I've got some room to play with since the stock airbox is gone.
              2010 Kawasaki Z1000
              1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

Originally posted by tommystinson
                Yeah, Geezer, I'd like to see that too. I've got some room to play with since the stock airbox is gone.
                I checked the pictures on my website and I took them before I installed the air horns. I mounted them up under the steering head on the e holes that are factory tapped into the frame.

I removed the airbox and I'm running cone airfilters so I have the space where the airbox was to put stuff. I have the compressor for the horns in there and the alarm system. If I ever put the fairing back on, I'll mount those in the fairing and I'll make a tool box to fit in where the stock airbox went.

It's supposed to rain all week but when it stops, I'll take some more pictures.

Geezer
                Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

My only worry with air horns is that they are most often associated with Semi-trucks. I think my first reaction in a car when I heard that horn would be to get off the road as quickly as possible...if you're using the horn because you think they don't see you, they might never see you because they're looking for a semi and they might swerve into you to avoid the invisible semi...

Just my 2 cents.

'82 XJ1100J-John
                  '78 XS1100E-Name Forthcoming (It's a Girl!)

Comment

20 bucks at Pep Boys for two Freeway Blasters from Fiamm in two tones, they are even black and gold. The four wires should plug in without modifications to horn or wire. I was able to mount in the stock location. They do draw a bit more voltage that stock, but what a difference! You can't lay on them, but go in 3 to 5 second blasts get most folks attention.
                    '81 XS11 Midnight Special

Comment

photo / part number freeway blasters

JKgrubbs,

Do you have a P/N or photo of these. This sounds reasonable.... Are they better than the stock horns (louder)??

Thanks,

Tom B.

Comment

Tom,

They are louder than stock, almost like an old Caddy horn set. I have only recently been pulled into the 21st century kicking and screaming, and have not bought a digital camera. I started changing my LP collection for CDs about two years ago. I even bought a new turntable not too awfully long ago.

Look at the jc witney site, http://www.jcwhitney.com, and search for horns

I located the items I bought on the third page, item#s

ZX133190A-high tone
                        ZX133191R-low tone

Comment

I also installed a set of Fiamms on my bike, but I wired in a relay. The existing wiring cannot handle the load of these horns with out melting the horn button. I used the auxilary fuse below the fuse panel as the power wire for the horns, and the existing horn circuit as the control circuit for the relay. Works great, and really gets peoples' attention.
                          Speaking of reluctantly joinig the 21st century, I also recently bought a new turntable, but I went one step further and started buying LP's again. I get older albums with titles that aren't on CD. Here in The Dallas area there is a chain of used book stores called Half Price Books, and they also carry used LP's. It's amazing to see how many people took such great care of their albums. $4-$5 apiece for such good, old memories...When was the last time you saw a Starcastle album on CD? Or some very old Uriah Heep? I still use my 1980 vintage Minolta SRT 200 SLR camera for most of my photos. The pics of my bike were taken with it.

Comment

Hey there Tom,

I, too, recommend the direct wire from aux fuse block, and horn button as relay control, provides much more needed amps to these aftermarket horns that were designed for cars!!

JK, do you mean you've been buying CD's to replace your current albums? Or...are you doing the more thrifty thing and recording your albums into your computer as wavs and then burning them onto homemade CDs? I've been doing the latter for several years myself, as John stated, many versions of songs and artists that aren't in print on CD. Have saved myself many hundreds of dollars as well not having to buy the stamped CDs. I've got a 20+ year old Technics Direct Drive turntable I use! Also, a Canon AE-1 program(only use manual mode!). Did splurge on a cheap $50.00 dig cam for quick tech shots and such! Okay, time to shut up, this is the TECH discussion area, not the socializing zone!
                            T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TC, I meant to say that I am getting new stuff on cd's, still spinning vinyl for the old stuff.

After reading the thread, I do plan on rewiring the horns, as soon as time allows.

I guess I'll be getting a digicam also. Seems more conveinent. I'll have to get my 16 year old to show me how to work it!

Comment

Working...
                              X