What's under right case Cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's under right case Cover?

I loosened the 3 Allen bolts on the surface of the right case over before realizing I was on the wrong side of the bike for timing

I know generator, but what do the 3 bolts hold to the inside of the cover?

I don't want to take the cover off to find out and don't see it in the service manual
    Last edited by dbbrian; 06-16-2016, 05:57 PM.
    '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
    '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
    '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

The piece you unbolted goes in the center of the rotor and can not touch it. It needs to be exactly centered. I am not sure it will be centered if the bolts are re tightened, maybe someone will chime in with that.

Last edited by bikerphil; 06-16-2016, 06:13 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

That is the field coil, and yes, you can bolt it right back up. If the field coil has dislodged, You will need to remove the cover.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Thanks guys. Always great help here, very grateful for this forum.

The bike started and I went out for a ride. So I will leave it alone unless I can't get it running better with other tune up methods (wasn't perfect before this).

Brian
        '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
        '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
        '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Hey Brian,

With having loosened all 3 bolts, there is a chance that the field coil got out of position just enough to allow it to rub against the rotor! There is slop in the mounting holes to allow the field coil to be shifted around to get it centered within the rotor with enough clearance to not rub. If it rubs, it will cause a short in the field coil, and then it won't be able to generate the power, and your battery will die, etc.!

Hate to say it, but you should take the ALT off, wrap/tape a couple of layers of paper bag around the field coil, then loosen the 3 bolts, slide the ALT back into place over/into the rotor and make sure that the ALT is engaging the alignment dowels, tighten the ALT case cover just snug, and then retighten the field coil bolts, the couple of layers of paper bag will help provide some clearance away from the rotor, help to better center it when you tighten the 3 bolts. THEN remove the ALT, remove the paper bag wrap, and then reinstall the ALT, and then could be a bit more reassured that the field coil is centered/positioned within the rotor with enough clearance to not let it rub!

Also, check your battery charging output afterwards to make sure you're still getting the 14.5 volts at 2500+ rpm!

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Uuuh guys, I don't know about your right side covers, but the three I've dealt with have some machined lugs that the coil pack sets down on, and centers the coil. So if your screws didn't come all the way out, re tighten them a few turns at a time, going around the circle, so as not to jam the coil in a cocked position.
            Or, put the side stand down, remove the right side cover and make sure that the coil is evenly tightened to the cover.

CZ

Comment

Working...
            X