Little Bit of an Electrical Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Bit of an Electrical Upgrade

I have been changing a bunch of my connectors out for Weather-pack connectors. Biggest change though is that I am rewiring the fairing and changing the connector out for a Weather-Pack bulkhead connector. It is quite a bit bigger than the original molex connector but the molex one was broken so it needed to be changed to something different. The bulkhead connector is 22 position compared to the 12 of the molex so I have a bit more room for extras, but since I have a bunch of other stuff run up to the fairing it works out. I finished up planning out the wiring and put together the pigtail side of the connector today, and it is a beast!

Next I need to fix some cracks in the fairing and then start rewiring everything in there. I am also going to wire the side marker lights up so that they flash with the turn signals.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Very nice Nate. You have the option of wrapping those wires in some corrugated wrap, or heat shrink tube.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Also, being an electrician, we tag all of our labels (Brady). If you do not have a label maker, send me an email, and I will print you labels for your wires that you can wrap around the wires (or heat shrink labels), for easy identification for down the road trouble-shooting.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

For the most part the wires will be determined by their grouping and the connector I put on the end. Things that are not going to be divided up like that will be labeled.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

So I need some input from the electronics guys. I am trying to figure out how exactly I want to wire in the side marker lights so that they flash when the turn signals is activated but stay on solid when the turn signal is not being used.

My plan was to use some sort of nc relay and use the turn signal hot as the trigger. My problem is trying decide what relay to use. I would like a solid state relay so i don't have to deal with the clicking but don't know.

Thoughts?
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

That would work. It's essentially interrupting the power of the light as the flasher works. How about an 1157 mod instead?
            1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
              How about an 1157 mod instead?
              The side markers are way to small to hold an 1157 bulb.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Nate,

Do you still have the stock self-cancel circuit? That's a finicky circuit that only wants to see a 27W load at each lamp. Adding a relay will throw it out of balance and if it's too much it can make the Signals not flash, change the brightness, rate, duration, whatever.

Assuming it works the simple way is a mechanical relay hooked up for NC (Normally Closed) operation. The state of the side marker lights would be the opposite of the Signal and would give you a "Not" circuit. It'll look a little odd when it's signaling but it saves power.

The Signal going live fires up the coil to open the NC relay and that turns off the markers. When the Signal goes off the NC relay closes and the markers turn on again so you don't have to spend power on the relay coil to have markers.

Have fnu!
                -- Scott
                _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                1979 XS1100F: parts
                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

No self canceler anymore, it wold already be all confused by my setup if it was there still. Someday I will build Cy's self canceler he came up with before he died. Yeah I know the sides will flash opposite of the front turn, but that is pretty common to see in cages that have side markers that are built into the headlight housing.
                  Last edited by natemoen; 06-23-2016, 04:17 AM.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Ah, good! I still need to build an equivalent to to Cy's circuit too.

You'll need two relays for the markers, right and left.

If you hook up a single relay with diodes or some other cunning plan the way 'Specials do for the single Turn lamp in the cluster then both markers will flash at the same time like a Hazard warning which, aside from the Crazy Eddy factor, I don't think would be legal on a street machine.

-- Scott
                    _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                      Ah, good! I still need to build an equivalent to to Cy's circuit too.

You'll need two relays for the markers, right and left.

If you hook up a single relay with diodes or some other cunning plan the way 'Specials do for the single Turn lamp in the cluster then both markers will flash at the same time like a Hazard warning which, aside from the Crazy Eddy factor, I don't think would be legal on a street machine.
                      Yup, one on each side.

And as much for my own future use but also for others here is CyWelchJr's Self Canceler Mod

I started making some of the wiring harness for the inside of the fairing yesterday. Can't do a lot of it right now since I am still waiting on some stuff to repair the cracks in the fairing. Going to clean things up in there with this all. All the wires will be run through a loom that will be mounted to the side of the fairing and wires will only come out when they get to their destination. Before the inside of the fairing was barely usable because of the rats nest of wires! Might even paint the inside just to clean it up.

Hmmm....LED lights inside to see.....
                      Last edited by natemoen; 06-23-2016, 08:57 AM.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                        . . .still waiting on some stuff to repair the cracks in the fairing.
                        What are you using for the plastic repair? The stuff "TheRev" recommended is absolutely awesome! I used that to repair my side cover I cracked in-half.
                        1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                          What are you using for the plastic repair? The stuff "TheRev" recommended is absolutely awesome! I used that to repair my side cover I cracked in-half.
                          It's called Plasti-Mend. Don't remember who here I saw talk about it.
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The large red wire that comes off the starter solenoid, that is the main power wire correct? It runs straight up to the key and then right back to the fuse panel correct?
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yep. The Red wire goes to the ignition switch. It changes color at the switch to the Brown wire that runs to the fuse box.

-- Scott
                              _____

Comment

Working...
                              X