Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kick Starter & Pressure Plate

Two questions:

#1 So simple, yet I'm not getting it right.
    11E - the Kick Start return spring. Two things. 1- U shaped part of the spring keeps jumping off the case (where U is held in place). 2- Even with 1/2 turn on spring (before lifting the U over the stop under tension) the kick lever will not rebound to the return. Needs more tension but not sure how to do that without loosing a finger. Plus, I imagine the lower starting gear coming out of the case needs to be turned to a stop position first before inserting the spring loaded kick lever?

U spring retainer seems to ride up on the case and pop off

Lever gear engaged with lower gear and kick lever about 9 o'clock position - HELP ..........

Question #2 re: pressure plate thread integrity

Put in new Clutch Parts. Went well but I'm not trusting the threads in the pressure plate. Upon removal the 10mm bolts on the Star Plate were extremely tight. Not 84 inch lbs or the 7 ft lbs. Got a few teeny-tiny threads that fell out. Not much torque required but an awful lot of pressure on the star plate from compressing the springs.

On a couple of the Star Plate 10mm bolts I can get maybe 5 or 6 ft pounds torque but I feel like at 7 ft lb things are not good in some of the holes. I've ordered six NEW 10mm bolts for the Star Plate. I'm using a Inch Lb torque wrench set and will try to get maybe 75 inch lb of torque with the new 10mm bolts if I can. Otherwise what? Tap the threads & upsize? Try and find replacement Pressure Plate? Would you trust 6 ft lb vs 7 if I can get 6 without a problem?

Also putting some new parts into the front wheel today.

Bearings & Seals + new Tire

odd the right bearing (you can see it on the puller) was a sealed bearing but the left bearing (laying on the rag) was open bearing and can see the roller balls. Guess just a different style. Not sure if original factory OEM was sealed bearings or not.

Thanks, Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Jeff, those clutch bolts I just tighten with a short 1/4" drive ratchet to avoid over tightening. I wouldn't trust a torque wrench at that low of a torque unless it was a beam type. If the aluminium threads are truly damaged, I would just replace the hub. Even if the bolts were slightly under torqued, they won't move due to directional rotation and clutch spring force.

As for the kick start gear, I don't have the FSM manual handy, but there is a clear procedure on pg. 3-42.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thoughts

Jeff:

Kick starter- I haven't done this on my XS11s, but I have done it a few times on my Triples, and I think it is the same. You have to install the spring and the gears and have it in the "stop" position. Then you pull out the shaft with the spring on it so the gears don't mesh yet the "U" part of the spring is still held in the housing. Then you turn the kick starter lever 180 degrees (I prefer 270 degrees) and push the shaft back in so the gears mesh. Now the spring is loaded correctly to make the kick starter lever return properly.

Clutch Bolts- If you want to save the current parts, maybe you keep the lower torque and put a spot of Loctite on the bolts?

If you are worried about it about after you try it- you can always buy another set of parts. They are not so pricey on eBay.

Wheel bearings- I just replaced the wheel bearings on SG and found the original bearings were open, and the new OEM ones were sealed. Seems someone replaced one of your bearings, but not both? Or they got mixed parts when they ordered replacements? (stuck in the changeover period?)
      -Mike
      _________
      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
      '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
      '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
      '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Kick Starter

THANKS ...................

Got the kick starter back on under spring tension. Its a duh moment. In the heat of battle I was rotating the starter lever as the manual says, BUT with the gears engaged. DUH Shaft would only rotate 90 degrees with the gears meshed. DUH Read 3-42 again and still couldn't figure it out. Messed with it yesterday and again today. Guess I can read (3-42) but can't think in action. Then logic prevailed and I finally deduced they meant rotate 180 under tension BEFORE engaging the gears. Now its working fine. THANKS.

Now this Pressure Plate issue. New OEM 10mm bolts arrive next week. Sure hope they hold the star plate. The PO or somebody had been into the clutch before. They left the Clutch Boss nut retainer in the Un-Bent position. The 10mm star plate bolts seem to have been over stressed and seem to have metal fatigue. One broke at about 4-5 lb of torque. Hoping new 10mm's will be enough to hold the clutch spring tension with Star Plate pulled up to the pressure plate. Otherwise clutch job went well.

If all goes well I am still thinking about riding the 11E to Colorado Rally. Plan to remove the swing arm for new bearings and then put on new rear tire. Plus I need to fish out the Stand Tubes in the gas tank. They fell out when I did my garage wet floor tip over test back in February before the Key West Rally. And want to check the valve clearances plus slightly tighten the steering head nut. Handle bars turn way too easy and easily fall to one side.

Thanks for bailing me out on the Kick Starter. Just got over anxious and worried about loosing a finger or breaking something. Should have the new front wheel bearings installed shortly then get the new Conti GO mounted on the front wheel + balanced. That's always fun. (Motoman suggested try GO's so I did) btw: used a bearing puller rather than fighting it. bang-bang 60 seconds and the bearings were out. So simple with the proper tools. I guess old dog can learn new tricks.

Jeff
        Last edited by JeffH; 06-15-2016, 01:40 PM.
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Come & get a freebie replacement.....

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
          Hoping new 10mm's will be enough to hold the clutch spring tension with Star Plate pulled up to the pressure plate. Jeff
          Jeff,
          Either stop by the house or send Marty (LOL )
          I have a couple spares in very good shape you can have one!
          KURT
          Kurt Boehringer
          Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
          1978 - SR500 - Thumper
          1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
          1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
          1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
          1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
          1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
          1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
          1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
          1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
          1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
          1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
          2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Kurt, why not both of us at the same time? (I know that's an overload) lol
            We could even talk SE Rally plans.

OK thanks. Good to have a fall back. I'm somewhat sure with the new OEM 10mm bolts I can get the Star Plate to hold. The internal threads on 4 of 6 seem fine but 2 might not be perfect, but good enough if I'm careful as bikerphil suggested. If I hit a snag next week I might take a ride down.

Jeff
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Working...
            X