front axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front axle

I'm rebuilding the front end of my 79 XS1100SF that I had an accident with last October. My existing front axle that I had to cut off to remove the wheel is 16mm in diameter while the replacement front axle I bought is 20mm in diameter. Can I turn the 20mm axle down to 16mm and re-thread the end for the nut. Did they change axle diameters at some point?
    Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Roncoach70; 06-13-2016, 05:42 PM.
    79 XS1100SF
    79 XS1100SF parts
    79 RD400F Daytona Special

hey Ron,

I checked the Microfiche, regrettably, YAMAHA doesn't have the 79SF listed, but compared the 78E with the 80G and SG, and the front and rear axles are different, but the fronts across the models are the same. The fiche doesn't give the size of the shaft, and I haven't actually checked to see, but makes sense that the rear would be larger than the front, so you probably got sold the wrong one!?

That sounds like a lot of work to machine/turn it down and rethread, but I would think it would be okay to do so as long as you are accurate/precise!?

But I would think you might just want to get another one and verify with the seller it's size prior to buying. Also, would contact seller of current wrong one for refund or exchange options!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Axle

TC
      It was me Ron needed a lot of parts to get his front end together. I posted a thread of all the parts I put together and we thought they were right. Wheel, tire, forks brake calipers, Headlight bucket and what ever else he needed from my part he took a bad shot and lucky to be here. That axle was in the pile I had no idea it was the wrong one he drove 5 hours to get the stuff this winter. I am sure hope everything else was right I am going to check my stock and see if I can reach Phatts27 he has not been on much I think he has one or two I had. I hope someone can help Ron out he is a great guy and wants to get back on the road. We have got to have one somewhere this was my error I had no idea. Got to make this right if anyone has one please help
      82 XJ1100J
      81 Venturer
      Newly acquired Aches N Pains collection

Comment

The front axle is 17MM, not 16MM. The rear is 20MM.
        Last edited by bikerphil; 06-13-2016, 09:16 PM.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thread

Here's the thread the cat ate a lot of the pix I really did not think it was a rear axle and the pix is gone we had a triple tree speedometer drive forks and more I think I got the rest right.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44845
          82 XJ1100J
          81 Venturer
          Newly acquired Aches N Pains collection

Comment

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help no rush, I bought a Honda Superhawk to add to my herd, Thanks to Eastcoaster I am making progress on my XS.
            79 XS1100SF
            79 XS1100SF parts

Comment

Just get the correct axle.................

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...+axle&_sacat=0
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Eastcoaster

Hi Gordon, hope you had a great birthday. Question for you. I did buy a new front wheel from you, didn't I?. I think I remember you commenting that it even had a good front tire on it. I can't believe it, but I can't find it. Am I crazy?
                Do you remember?
                Thanks Gordon
                Ron
                79 XS1100SF
                79 XS1100SF parts

Comment

Working...
                X