82 XJ1100 not getting fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 82 XJ1100 not getting fuel

I am trying to get my XJ1100 started after several years of sitting in the garage. It doesn't seem to be getting gas. It will turn over with starting fluid but that's it. So far I have removed the carbs and cleaned them good, replaced the spark plugs (I am getting spark), put new fuel in tank, new battery, and replaced the fuel lines (bypassed the octopus by routing 2 lines from the petcock to Y connector, to fuel filter, to bottom of carbs). I also removed the air box to make it easier to pull the carbs if I need to again. Is the problem because I don't have vacuum for the fuel lines? Or something else?
    Thanks.

Is an XJ using dual petcocks like the my SG? You say "petcock" in the singular.

Are the carbs truly clean? How about the pilot circuit, did you take the carbs fully part or simply remove the bowls and clean what you could see?

Is the airbox on when you are trying to start it, or are you trying to run the bike with the airbox off? It will be crazy lean with no airbox.

Sorry for all the questions, but they will help us help you.

The vacuum is needed for operating the vacuum valve in the octy, with the octy removed you should have gas flowing fine, other than with the petcock(s) in the "off" position.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

The XJ has dual petcocks.
      I removed all the little pieces in the carb and soaked them in chem dip, except for parts with plastic or rubber. The first attempt was not as thorough.

The air box if off. i will put if back on when it starts. There is a vent tube that goes from the airbox to the engine (directly below the airbox) which I just have disconnected.

I see gas flowing to the filter but I don't see it coming out the filter.

I hope that helps.

Comment

If you did not do this, your enrichment passage is probably clogged

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yBwrcqwArA
        82 XJ1100 - sold
        96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
        2000 ZRX1100 - sold
        2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

Yes, I sprayed carb cleaner through all of the holes, including the jets when I removed them.

Comment

check the directional arrow on your filter to make sure it's flowing the correct direction. open the drain valves on the float bowls to see if the bowls are getting fuel. (be sure to close them back up even if nothing is coming out)

Did you use the choke? Mine would not start after sitting with out the choke all the way on.
            Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
            80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
            82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
            82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
            82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
            72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
            72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Could part of the solution be putting the airbox back on? It is going to be really lean. Starting fluid is like a whole lot of fuel being put in at once, lessening a lean condition from no airbox. When it is burned up, it stops trying to run.

Yes, open the bowl drain screws to see if you have fuel and try the choke as well like tcoop says if you haven't already.
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Hey there,

Okay, you cleaned the JETS, but did you also spray thru the carb bodies ensuring that cleaner came out the many orifices in the carb throat in front of the butterfly??

See this crosscut view of the pilot circuit, the pilot jet screw/idle screw and path. Click on the photo to view in larger detail. This is a 78-79 series carb, but the circuits are similar.

Also, do you still have the Pilot /Idle Screw caps on the top front of the carbs? If so, they'll need to be removed to gain access to the actual idle screws as well as spray cleaning the circuits.

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Keep in mind also that after all you have done to the carbs...they will need to be re-synched...for that you'll need a tool to close off the YICS ports...which can be left in there permanently ...closing off the connecting carbs improves throttle response and crispness and idles better...it just purrs...a member here Yahman...makes and sells the YICS Eliminator Tool...highly recommend that...
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                  X