XS1100 1978 Fuel Vacuum Pet Cocks leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS1100 1978 Fuel Vacuum Pet Cocks leaking

I have replaced the diaphragm and gaskets for both sides 3 or 4 times on this bike
    When I take the assembly apart and carefully check for rough or irregular area, can find none.
    I have tried storing it dry and leaving the fuel in to keep it wet
    But I still end up with slow leaks usually from under the pet cock
    And lots of complaints for the garage smelling like gas

This time the fuel on one side of tank is free running into the right hand carbs
    and coming out into the breather

I'm at the point of replacing the vacuum pet cock with just a simple on -off-reserve valve that is reliable

Just checked Mack's Standard Petcock Alternative article- certainly one alternative

Is this issue with fuel leaking a regular occurrence with 1978 XS1100's- very frustrating.
    Regards, Peter

Originally posted by Peter Brackett View Post
    I have replaced the diaphragm and gaskets for both sides 3 or 4 times on this bike
    When I take the assembly apart and carefully check for rough or irregular area, can find none.
    I have tried storing it dry and leaving the fuel in to keep it wet
    But I still end up with slow leaks usually from under the pet cock
    And lots of complaints for the garage smelling like gas

This time the fuel on one side of tank is free running into the right hand carbs
    and coming out into the breather

I'm at the point of replacing the vacuum pet cock with just a simple on -off-reserve valve that is reliable

Just checked Mack's Standard Petcock Alternative article- certainly one alternative

Is this issue with fuel leaking a regular occurrence with 1978 XS1100's- very frustrating.
    Regards, Peter
    .........other alternative....... may try stretching the internal springs just a bit before assembly.
    Last edited by motoman; 06-08-2016, 11:06 PM.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

If they are K&L kits that may be the problem.
      79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
      79 SF parts bike.

Comment

I had one of mine leak once. Took it apart, cleaned it up. Remember putting emery cloth on glass and sanding down the face? Flexed the spring a bit and reassembled. Works great.
        Darrell
        78E
        80G project
        06FJR

Comment

This thread may help

http://xjbikes.com/forums/threads/re...-w-pics.25058/
          1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
          1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
          1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
          1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
          1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Working...
          X