Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solo Spring Seat mount questions

Hey folks,

I'm posting this in a separate thread vs. my rebuild one, just don't want to clutter it up.

I've got a Sportster seat just like the one Kurt put on his son's bike. But I'm concerned about the amount cushioning that it will provide vs. my old Travelcade saddleman unit, that was close to the OEM thickness and level of cushion. I've got Skinny White Man's Butt syndrome and my sciatic nerve is easily aggravated and compressed when I sit on too hard/firm of a seat.

SO...aside from the actual seat, I am thinking of mounting it with a solo spring style mount. I don't think I need much travel/cushion distance, but want to have a little more than just the ~2" of seat foam. Looking at the fixtures for solo spring mounts, I saw both torsion style springs as well as coil springs. The torsion type look like they take up more space, but then I think they will compress easier and be a little more springy than the coil type? I've also seen various sized and styles of coils, 3" and even shorter 2" and both the standard variable wound type that look like a pine cone, and then also the barrel style. I'm thinking the pine cone type would act more like progressive springs and provide variable spring action depending on the weight and the stress on the wider coils vs. the smaller stiffer windings. The Barrel style are the same diameter/spacing and wider and so I think they won't be as stiff as the pine cone type??

Anyways, anybody have experience with this type of seat mount, and which springs would provide the softer ride?

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!
Working...
X