Shakedown Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shakedown Sunday

So after nearly 2 months of rain and waiting on parts, it looks like i may finally have the carbs sorted out... The bike runs, and carb #1 isn't pissing all over the place

Other than once around the block, when i first got it, this was it's maiden run.
    Needed to get some color on the plugs, so I took her out, and did a good 20 miles. Ran pretty good for the most part, but I've identified a few issues...

#1 - The clutch is a bit wonky... it grabs about where i would expect it to, but doesn't feel like it's disengaging completely. I'll have to look at the adjustment this week.

#2 - It's really hard to roll backwards. It took so much effort, I tweaked my back, just trying to get it over the small rise at the end of my driveway. I think the rear brake may be dragging, although it stops well.

#3 - The RPMs don't drop when i let off on the throttle... I can feel the bike stop pulling, but If i was cruising at 3k, it hangs there, even as my speed decreases.
    After about 10 miles or so, the RPMs started increasing upwards of 5k, any time i engaged the clutch, which made downshifts tricky. When coming to a stop sign, i could engine brake to bring them down, and feather the clutch to keep them there, but if i hit a red light, i would need to kill the bike.

I checked for Air leaks, but couldn't find any. It's a new throttle cable, as slack as it can go. actually enough slack that at one point the cable popped out of the attachment on the carb (as i was preparing to leave my driveway)

The idle speed adjuster is backed almost all the way out.
    Idle speed (full choke) 2k
    Idle Speed (no Choke) 1k

not sure where to look next...

#4 - When looking at the plugs, Cyl 1 is black/oily, while the rest are white, so i'm getting close. guess i'm gonna bump up one pilot size. the main jets are already +1, was holding of on the pilots until i could run it...

Cylinder 1

Cylinder 2

Cylinder 3

Cylinder 4

All in all, I'm getting close
    80 SG

Congrats on your maiden voyage!

Okay, yes, clutch adjustment is probably needed, especially at the engine to ensure that the throwout screw/rod is fully disengaging when the clutch is released. IF it's not fully disengaged, it can keep putting some pressure against the throwout plate which can allow the clutch to slip a little especially at higher gears and throttle input.

As for the idle rpms, they do tend to rise as the bike warms up, but when you release the throttle it should drop back down to the idle speed quite quickly, but if it hangs, then it sounds like you don't have the carbs vac. synched as closely as they should be, imbalanced carbs will cause the rpms to hang and not drop!

The rear wheel does have some drag due to the drivetrain components, and the bike is rather heavy, so pulling it backward up over a bump can be challenging! But wouldn't hurt to check the rear caliper and master cylinder to ensure that the spooge hole is not blocked and that the brake is releasing properly. Also check the shaft the pedal rotates on, it can RUST and the pedal can stick/hang keeping pressure against the MC pump rod.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Are you rolling it backwards w/the clutch pulled in and in gear, or in neutral? You can get some HEAVY resistance to rolling either forward or backwards in gear but the clutch pulled in. Oil between the clutch plates drains downward and are sticky until the engine is started and they "break free". Or put it in neutral. Rolls much better then. JAT.

Clutch feeling like it isn't disengaging could be exactly that, and thus it won't roll and is exacerbated by the oil draining down as above.

Definitely check/adjust if needed the clutch free play and may help both issues.

#1 plug doesn't look like it is firing. And if that is oil like you say, and not wetness from gas on the insulator, oil control rings on #1 piston might be sticking. That will keep you from being "close". Oily residue shouldn't be there, maybe wet with gas but no oil.

Is your tank venting properly? Could be causing it to starve out of fuel partially and run lean.

As well, did you sync the carbs? Could be contributing to some engine speed issues, esp at idle.

For carb set up, find the best size main first, then if you have adjustable needles get that set, then the pilots. In that order, otherwise you end up using one thing to compensate for another (guys use pilots to make up for too little main, for example).

Edit: T.C. beat me to the post. What he said and use my info to fill in any holes.
      Last edited by Bonz; 06-05-2016, 08:34 PM.
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
        Are you rolling it backwards w/the clutch pulled in and in gear, or in neutral? You can get some HEAVY resistance to rolling either forward or backwards in gear but the clutch pulled in. Oil between the clutch plates drains downward and are sticky until the engine is started and they "break free". Or put it in neutral. Rolls much better then. JAT.
        I should've specified, it was in neutral

#1 plug doesn't look like it is firing. And if that is oil like you say, and not wetness from gas on the insulator, oil control rings on #1 piston might be sticking. That will keep you from being "close". Oily residue shouldn't be there, maybe wet with gas but no oil.
        It's oily to touch, but doesn't smell of gas. cylinder was firing, pulled the boot, and engine started missing.

Is your tank venting properly? Could be causing it to starve out of fuel partially and run lean.
        Good point, I'll check that.

As well, did you sync the carbs? Could be contributing to some engine speed issues, esp at idle.
        I did sync the carbs, they're practically dead on.

For carb set up, find the best size main first, then if you have adjustable needles get that set, then the pilots. In that order, otherwise you end up using one thing to compensate for another (guys use pilots to make up for too little main, for example).
        yep. I have another thread where we've been discussing jetting..
        the mains were originally mismatched, with wrong type. settled on +1 from the factory specified size. then adjusted the mixture screws, and synced.

Based on my setup, it was suggested to bump up one size main and pilot, but I purposely held off on the pilots, to see if they were necessary.
        80 SG

Comment

Gotcha. Had no idea you were doing another thread on the jetting while talking it about here as well. My bad.

Carry on.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Bark, I've seen these things do the hang in RPM trick if they are running lean. It will make you think its a sync issue but its not. Now that you have put a heat cycle or 2 on it make sure that all the connections for the inlet system are tight and secure. No vacuum leaks allowed I don't know what you original setting of the mixture screws was but I'd go out another full turn and see if it helps.
            wingnut
            81 SH (Daily Ride)
            81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
            81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
            82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
            81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
              Gotcha. Had no idea you were doing another thread on the jetting while talking it about here as well. My bad.
              Carry on.
              Nah, you were right on... I forgot to mention my jetting thread in the original post.

Originally posted by wingnut View Post
              Bark, I've seen these things do the hang in RPM trick if they are running lean. It will make you think its a sync issue but its not. Now that you have put a heat cycle or 2 on it make sure that all the connections for the inlet system are tight and secure. No vacuum leaks allowed I don't know what you original setting of the mixture screws was but I'd go out another full turn and see if it helps.
              Thanks...
              after it cooled a bit, and i had checked the plugs, i ran it again, and sprayed around the boots and vacuum fittings with carb cleaner... the only time i got a reaction was when i hit one of the air filters

+1 Pilot jets will be here tomorrow.
              that's the nice thing about Dennis Kirk being an hour up the road.
              80 SG

Comment

Working...
              X