Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn Signal Wiring

Hey guys n gals,
    heres some background, my complete wire harness was junk, owner before me started chopping left and right and now theres nothing but a nightmare. However, i did get the xs11 chop wiring diagram from Tom, and i have everything wired and working. Only one thing remains, the turn signals. The diagram i got dosent have them on it and ive tried to figure it out myself. I have aftermarket turn signals that i want to wire in so i cant just follow the stock wire color. If anyone can just give me the most basic diagram or instructions on how to wire up these suckers i would appreciate it. I am not going to run the blinker cancling switch, but i need to know how to wire up my turn signals to switch and flasher relay.

Again Thank you guys, your awesome

I did search the forums before posting and didnt find anything i thought was what im trying to do

Ryan
    1980 XS1100SG

Okay, you say you have aftermarket turn signals...so I'm assuming you mean the actual stalks/bulbs/housings for the signals, not aftermarket SWITCHES on your handlebars???

Most aftermarket lights are either lower wattage incandescent bulbs, or even LEDS. You will need to get a No Load Electronic Flasher to put on in place of the OEM one if you still have it. Hopefully the harness is not butchered too badly and that you still have the OEM fuse path for the turn signals, along with the wires from the battery/flasher up to the handlebars, and then out to the location of the signals?

IF still have OEM flasher/socket, get a 2 prong...YES 2 Prong flasher, the 3rd prong was only for the special self cancelling feature, not using that anyways. Then you'll just have to try plugging it into the 3 prong receptacle one of 2 ways, it will work one way!

The wires for the signals should be green and brown....IIRC Green is for LEFT, and Brown for RIGHT, but refer to an OEM wiring diagram for sure. These are the HOT/12V lines. The OEM signals usually grounded to the FRAME via the mount/stalks, but the rears even had a large washer around the stalk with a black ground wire attached that plugged into the harness.

And then if the switch is still good, wires aren't broken/unsoldered in the switch housing, then they should work.

IF all of this was stripped/cut away, then you'll need to do more work running wires and such! Post photos of what you have/don't have and others with more electrical knowledge may chime in!? Good Luck

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Alternator question

im not sure if this is going to work ive never posted pictures, but im getting ahead of myself. I figured out the blinkers, Thank you so much T.C.

ok so on the first picture i put numbers on the alt socket in which order i think they go in

hope you guys n gals can understand my illustration

ok and in the next picture i believe that the wires will be in order 123

i hope you fellas can help me. once i figure out the right wires i'll have all my wiring done, with the exception of my momentary switch which i have fried 2 somehow. anyway.. thanks in advance

Ryan
      1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Working...
      X