Seat Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat Cover

Bikes been in storage for over eight years until last year.

Been stripping, cleaning and doing it up.

Before it went into storage I had a replacement seat cover but never fitted it.

When I got it out the box it was stiff as cardboard.

What can I use to get it flexible again. It's like a vinyl type material not leather.

Any members any suggestions?

Al.

Originally posted by ardvark1 View Post
    Bikes been in storage for over eight years until last year.

Been stripping, cleaning and doing it up.

Before it went into storage I had a replacement seat cover but never fitted it.

When I got it out the box it was stiff as cardboard.

What can I use to get it flexible again. It's like a vinyl type material not leather.

Any members any suggestions?

Al.
    To unstiffen that replacement seat cover, go to your local Ace Hardware or Tru-Valu and buy a pump spray bottle of 303 Areospace Protectant. Squirt cover down and let sit a bit. Lightly re-spray and then wipe it down with a clean cloth. I use it on all associated pieces such as the snap-on leather-like cover on fairing, seat, etc..
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

also lay it out in the sun for a while.
      80 SG

Comment

If you're a cheap smack like me, use mineral oil (baby oil). It works great!

Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

seat cover

i cleaned 7.5 yrs of grime with acetone.
          Resigned

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
            If you're a cheap smack like me, use mineral oil (baby oil). It works great!

Now that'id make for a slick ride.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I hate to be the voice of dissent, but if the vinyl is brittle, it's likely too late and has chemically changed and there's no saving it. I don't believe you can re-hydrate vinyl like you can leather, you can only protect it from the beginning.
              82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
              Website/Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Prothec View Post
                I hate to be the voice of dissent, but if the vinyl is brittle, it's likely too late and has chemically changed and there's no saving it. I don't believe you can re-hydrate vinyl like you can leather, you can only protect it from the beginning.
                post #2 gots that covered.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                  post #2 gots that covered.
                  Ha, back to rainbows and optimism then
                  82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
                  Website/Blog

Comment

Working...
                  X