Stellite welding 2nd gear fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stellite welding 2nd gear fix

Anyone on here have any experience doing this?
    Since i am a proficient licensed welder and i happen to have some stellite lying around and an xs1100 with a 2nd gear that slips under full throttle(which would mean its only slightly worn) and clunky shifting (bent selector fork)
    I am thinking it would work to dress up the cogs with a thin 1/10 mm bead of stellite at the end of the cog, so backcutting would remove nothing of the base material. Of course welded as cold as possible to not remove any hardening, stellite is sufficiently hard w/o temper.
    Also do the shift forks from xs750s fit since i have a bunch extra from my xs900 build?
    Now i think i will not try backcutting myself, there are guys doing that in town i think, a simple welder cant get the cogs to match perfectly i think..
    79 2H9 in Sweden; 2 XS750's

Hey there,

Don't know about anybody having tried using Stellite?, we have a few certified welders on our site so they would be more capable of chiming in with their opinions or experience.

However, once the dogs get rounded off they have already gotten worn into or past the hardening layer, so not sure if you're really preserving anything. And as you said, trying to use the lowest temp for performing the welding, but you're still talking about several thousands of degrees to attain a proper weld and not just a glue/tack, so the temper might still be affected anyways.

The dremmel fix isn't rocket science, the underlying dog metal will be a little softer than the hardened surface, but this actually allow for less than micron precise grinding/alignment, the dogs/slots will bash together and eventually wear into each other to even out the contact surfaces to have even pressure on them at the same time. The more important feature is the undercutting angle which helps to PULL the gears together under stress/load vs. the square cut which lead to the rounding and eventually spreading apart under load.

Finally a review of the Yamaha Fiche reveals that the part numbers for the shift forks are DIFFERENT, 2H7 prefix vs. the 1J7, so they are NOT the same part/shape/design/size and won't work.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Ah, of course nitride/surface hardening will have worn off.. actually the heat affected zone can be kept extremely small with a careful hand, but then it seems better to add stellite across the dogs and slots, to get some uniform hardness.. may have to read this paper first, seems right on the money.
      https://www.google.se/url?sa=t&sourc...zyQCr-nkCyledQ
      Pre and postheating.. This could be fun!

Comment

I don't know what Stellite is, so I'm going to have to look into this. Please explain the process.

Do you know what alloy the gears are made of? Do you normalize after welding/grinding? What about case hardening?
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Stellite is cobolt based filler material for welding, can be used on all carbon steels, and especially developed for wear surfaces in gearboxes, metal on metal contact and such.
          I will TIG weld it, and it sounds like no hardening or tempering will be necessary other than normalizing the haz steel structure post weld.

Comment

Originally posted by Twintorsk View Post
            no hardening or tempering will be necessary other than normalizing the haz steel structure post weld.
            So, you simply normalize the gears that you welded? "haz steel structure" has me unsure about what you're saying.

Hopefully, I will remember this next week, so I can research it.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Heat Affected Zone, the steel grains can become austenitic or martensitic depending on cooling rate post-weld.
              Here's a general wiki: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martensite
              This is as much as i understand about it anyway, given my educational level 😂

Comment

Heat Affected Zone, the steel grains can become austenitic or martensitic depending on cooling rate post-weld.
                Here's a general wiki: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martensite
                This is as much as i understand about it anyway, given my educational level 😂
                Laying ANY type of weld bead on top of any type of carbon density steel would NOT be my choice. What little dove-tail type grinding is necessary in this type of application is so minor, even a tiny weld bead would definitely create more work, and likely not produce anywhere close to the result of of just dove-tail grinding of the 'dogs' and slots. JMO from a cerified welder/fabricator of some 30yrs.........of course, now retired for some 10yrs..
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

There are actually 2 things with metal that give them wear capability and when combining metals especially a harder metal to a possibly softer or flexible I one is the bonding and will it stand up to the vibration harmonics and not crack or splinter off. I know when you have a rub wear surface this works very well but way in the past had some experience with high speed gears that were treated and rebuilt with a harder metal coating. It worked great for a while and then broke loose and damaged other gears in the box. Current metal and bonding physics I can not speak for, but in the past it was a failing process.
                  To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                  1980 G Silverbird
                  Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                  1198 Overbore kit
                  Grizzly 660 ACCT
                  Barnett Clutch Springs
                  R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                  122.5 Main Jets
                  ACCT Mod
                  Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                  Antivibe Bar ends
                  Rear trunk add-on
                  http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

... and an xs1100 with a 2nd gear that slips under full throttle(which would mean its only slightly worn) and clunky shifting (bent selector fork)

Before going into all that, could you please explain? SLIPPING isn't a 2nd gear problem and clunky shifting on these is the norm.
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                      Before going into all that, could you please explain? SLIPPING isn't a 2nd gear problem and clunky shifting on these is the norm.
                      Well its not the kind of quiet clutch slip i mean. I can feel the dogs disengage and bang together again with a hard jerk when i open it up wide. It only happens in high rpm, full throttle as yet, so i dont think damage is too great.
                      And i wont be welding on these unless there is not enough base material, but i am confident stellite and tempering Will work even in this application. Just have to find something cheap but equally powerful with a bad box to try it on first.. 😁

Comment

I teach at a tech school. We teach welding. I asked one the the instructors about stellite welding the dogs and slots. The short answer is the whole thing has to be annealed before you weld it. Then, it must be case hardened after the job is done.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Well all here loves the long answer 😁 but im pretty sure neither annealing or the tiny welds would remove the case hardening on the gears. And wont stellite become way way too brittle from case hardening?
                          I'm really not that well read on metallurgy (welder, not engineer) but i know i can keep the gears below or at annealing temp when welding the dogs.
                          But since i expect wear to be very slight i think in this case undercutting is the way to go.
                          Would just love to know the correct process if it becomes necessary one day. Knowledge is power!

Comment

I was told that the weld won't work well unless you anneal first. Then, case harden after working.
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

Which brings us full circle, why not do the regular second gear fix?
                              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
                              X