78 E - What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78 E - What do you think?

I might be able to get this bike. Been talking to the guy, he just sent me photos, and I was pleasantly surprised. Big honkin' fairing! Not my cup of tea.

Think he said 48,000 - miles or Km not sure which, a bit high, but if its been looked after which I think it has, either miles or km, could be a nice bike for me to join the XS club if the price is right

Photo removed at poster's request due to license plate info showing! **TC**
    [IMG][/IMG]

Brian
    '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
    '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
    '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

48,000 miles is not a bit high! That's just over 1,200 miles per year of it's life. And if it's actually KM, well, do the math...

Looks like a beauty, stock exhaust, and fairings come off... Did that to my 80G that came with a Pacifico fairing. Re-fit a headlight and turn-signals, was good to go.

You need to turn around and walk away from that bike, don't want you getting taken... send me the guy's info...
    Last edited by Bonz; 05-27-2016, 04:46 PM.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Smiling at that one Howard. Nice of you to be concerned for me. Good perspective on the milage.

I'm starting worry he'll change his mind.

Comment

78 e

What's the price? E's are pretty rare. Not many left. Call me if you want to get rid of the fairing. That looks like a Pacifico with the original hard bag.
        mack
        79 XS 1100 SF Special
        HERMES
        original owner
        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
        SPICA
        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
        IOTA
        https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
        https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
        Frankford, Ont, Canada
        613-398-6186

Comment

Try it WITH the fairing before you decide to remove it! The Pacifico on my '78, and '79 gave me a top speed almost as high as a naked bike! About 5mph slower, and got there almost as quickly. The Vetters I've run are about 15mph slower than the Pacifico.
          And yeah, I'm on the wrong coast but it looks to be a very good buy.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I haven't talked with him yet about price Mack. Edit - not lately - a year ago he said $1000. Still has it, so hope that's in my favour.

What would a fairing and bag on back be worth to you?

I see you are about as far east of Toronto as I am west of it.
            Last edited by dbbrian; 05-27-2016, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
              Try it WITH the fairing before you decide to remove it! The Pacifico on my '78, and '79 gave me a top speed almost as high as a naked bike! About 5mph slower, and got there almost as quickly. The Vetters I've run are about 15mph slower than the Pacifico.
              And yeah, I'm on the wrong coast but it looks to be a very good buy.
              I would give it a try as you suggest, but I'm skeptical about liking it or the bag on back. We'll see.

Comment

I LIKE the trunk on my bikes. I can put in a sixpack for when I get home, rain gear, or a laptop for work. The trunk is still slim looking, and for me a great way to carry things without worry about the weather.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                  I LIKE the trunk on my bikes. I can put in a sixpack for when I get home, rain gear, or a laptop for work. The trunk is still slim looking, and for me a great way to carry things without worry about the weather.
                  Those are good points and I can see it coming in handy. I rode an XS1100 (think a 79 or 80) many years ago. But no fairing or bags.

I look at it and think to myself it will make the bike feel top heavy.

I have never ridden one with a fairing so have no basis for this opinion. I'm not sure I can get used to the look.

But I'll keep my mind open because I realize you are sharing your wisdom that far exceeds mine and I respect that.

Thanks.
                  Last edited by dbbrian; 05-27-2016, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dbbrian View Post
                    I would give it a try as you suggest, but I'm skeptical about liking it or the bag on back. We'll see.
                    Rear tailtrunk IS from Yamaha Accessories, for the XS1100 series back 'in the day'.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I downloaded the photo and tried to zoom in on the speedo, but the resolution wasn't high enough to actually be able to read the dial. HOWEVER the last highest value looks quite large/wider, and starting at 240 Km's going backward, the # of white numbers spots matches the # that would be left going in 20 kph increments!?

Also, the bike is in Canada, possibly original owner, but you didn't say? I would think a Canadian would want to have one with a KPH gauge vs. a USA MPH? So would think that the 48K are Kilos, so even LESS mileage/wear! These machines are known for 100K+ miles capability with proper maintenance, so it's barely broken in!

Now, a PRISTINE bike with fairing/trunk and in good running condition....that could easily be a $2-$3K valued bike....let's hope he doesn't use this site for your sake! As others have said, if you don't get it, someone else will be happy to! And as you've seen, folks are also willing to take the fairing/trunk off of your hands for a FAIR price.

I'm not a fan of the FULL FAIRINGS either, the smaller clear windscreens work just as good for general bug and wind protection. YMMV.

T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I don't know...I would be a little leery about all the oil he is transporting on the front fender!
                        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                        X