Speedometer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer

New speedometer cable, with plenty of oil poured through it. I'm just going to live with it. Knowing it's relatively accurate, is comforting. I'm not likely to get a ticket for going a few MPH under the speed limit! Changing the final drive is a very interesting thought. Thanks again for all the suggestions and info.

Comment

careful

It's very easy to screw up a speedo trying to oil it !
      I had one come back to life, why,how.
      I realized the bike had been sitting in the hot sun on a hot day.
      I've been using the wife's oven ever since, she even knows.

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
      That's pretty close for a Standard. I think others have reported closer to 70 on their standards, but my special is right about there.

I can't recall exactly, so you'll need to do a search if nobody else posts about a way to squirt some lube into the speedo without messing up the glass. I know about squirting silicone oil into the GEAR portion, but I thought I remember someone posting about being able to squirt into it via a light socket opening??

T.C.
      76 XS650 C ROADSTER
      80 XS650 G Special II
      https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
      80 XS 1100 SG
      81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
      https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
      AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
        A slow to respond speedo is a sign of a speedo cable needing lube, IMO. Either because it is "dry" or the lube is gunked up.

Not necessarily. My SG busted the SF speedo this spring at indication of about 40K miles. It had been working fine albeit noisy at times. I swapped with an XS650/750 unit I found in a box in my basement. It is slow. I accelerate to 4k in 5th gear and it still says 25 mph until I'm a half mile down the road. The cable is not at fault.

My new slow one.

It's all MaximPhil's fault! It was fine until I let him ride it.

I run stock FD. If the RPM bothers me, I'll just park this other machine under me. 4,000 RPM is over 80 mph indicated.

Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

I had the speedo off the ZRX 1200 last weekend replacing instrument cluster bulbs like I mentioned a few posts ago. Granted, it is very easy to remove the speedo assembly, hold it in my hand and look right at the speedo gears on that bike.

Anyway I forgot to mention I had also put a few light spritz's of a Teflon/PTFE spray on the plastic gears. Between that and the oil in the cable housing, the speedo is working slick as can be.

I LIKE the idea of warming it up in an oven. Probably softens the gears, per se, and releases some lubricity in the process that had worn off the outer surface. I know sunlight (heat) causes plastic/vinyl car dashboards to release "vapor" over time that make the inside of the windshield get that dull haze, maybe a similar effect going on to revive the speedo gears.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I have taken the TACH apart, and found that the faceplate is PLASTIC, so I wouldn't set the oven too hot, lest you want to melt the plastic gauge face plate! JAT!
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

The Persitence of RPM

The thought reminds me of this:

-Mike
              _________
              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
              '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
              '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
              '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Heating it in anything makes me worry about that little needle thing that likes to break off. And for god sake don't drop it cause if you do the needle will snap. The sun over the years has decayed these things and they are brittle.
                To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                1980 G Silverbird
                Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                1198 Overbore kit
                Grizzly 660 ACCT
                Barnett Clutch Springs
                R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                122.5 Main Jets
                ACCT Mod
                Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                Antivibe Bar ends
                Rear trunk add-on
                http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but you can get a good MPH reading from any GPS or modern phone these days. You know, if you want to confirm you speedo...
                  78 E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                    Not necessarily. My SG busted the SF speedo this spring at indication of about 40K miles. It had been working fine albeit noisy at times. I swapped with an XS650/750 unit I found in a box in my basement. It is slow. I accelerate to 4k in 5th gear and it still says 25 mph until I'm a half mile down the road. The cable is not at fault.

My new slow one.

It's all MaximPhil's fault! It was fine until I let him ride it.

I run stock FD. If the RPM bothers me, I'll just park this other machine under me. 4,000 RPM is over 80 mph indicated.

Hi Marty,
                    Sorry We should have disconnected it when it started acting strange. You forgot to mention that was after the Guzzi blew up while I was starting it
                    Phil
                    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                    X