Fuel line that will not get hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel line that will not get hard

I am looking to re-plumb my 82 XJ1100 fuel lines.
    Has any one found fuel line that does not get hard over time.
    I used Tygon about 2-3 years ago but even that had gotten hard.
    If anyone has a source (link) that would be helpful.
    Thanks
    Salty dog
    Eastern NC
    XJ-1100 Naked Boy

Tygon

I've had good luck with this stuff.
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

This can get to be like an oil or tire thread. I use plain old black fuel line from the auto parts store, the one that is rated for fuel injection, not the stuff that is plain rubber. Yeah it gets hard after about 3 or 4 years but it is cheap to change. I've tried all the high-tech lines and the black FI line works best for me. Diameter is a bit bigger so that may be an issue if you have a lot going on under your tank.
      Mike Giroir
      79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

OEM Tubing

I spend the extra money to buy it from the online dealers.

For awhile I used the reinforced automotive stuff, but is so hard to get it over the fittings and to get it off again that it makes working on the bike unpleasant.

The factory material is so much easier for me and I can use the stock clamps instead of the screw type hose clamps.
        -Mike
        _________
        '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
        '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
        '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
        '79 XS750SF 17k miles
        '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
        '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
        '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

The fuel line I use, and installed some 7yrs. ago I bought from a local bike dealer here locally. It is see-thru blue in color and is commomly kept and sold at dealerships and motorcycle accessary shops. Was told it is specificly designed for ethanol fuel use. Stays pliable just like when new and haven't yet had to utilize any clamps at connections.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

The fuel lines should be replaced every couple of years anyway. I'm happy with the yellow Tygon. I keep a 10' roll in my tool box and carry a good chunk in my tool bag on the bike too.

It get's a little stiff over time but doesn't harden.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Believe it or not, I got the grey Motion Pro stuff from my local bike shop in 2000, I just replaced it this past year. It was a little stiff, but still no signs of cracking or such. It's like $3.00 a foot or so, but lasts a long time. It isn't clear so you can't see the fuel flowing thru it, but with clear in line fuel filters, moot point IMHO! You can also find/get/order Motion Pro fuel line from ONLINE sources as well.

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

If you do an internet search on "non-hardening fuel line" you will get quite a few hits, many from snowmobile and go-cart racing sites. Colors and clear available in 3/16 and 1/4 inch ID. I ran urethane (around $1.25 per foot) lines on the XJ for quite a while (before it was retired) and had no problems with the lines getting hard over a several year period.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I did new lines on my "racer" about a year ago and they seem to be holding up rather well without hardening... i just went to my local autoparts store and picked up some basic reinforced fuel line.
                  1979 XS1100F "Roxy" (my first bike ) - '91 Suzuki GSX1100 Fairing, BMW bags, Cheap ABS Trunk, aftermarket cruiser seat, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Heavy Duty folding kickstart, XS11 Special signals and gauges, Blade Fuse Conversion, Dynacoil Greens w/ ballast bypass, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by sethhope View Post
                    I did new lines on my "racer" about a year ago and they seem to be holding up rather well without hardening... i just went to my local autoparts store and picked up some basic reinforced fuel line.
                    Actually a bad choice. The automotive fuel line has been known to peel off tiny pieces internally and get trapped in unwanted places in carbs. Been several examples of that happening on here over the yrs........just sayin.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

OK I did some research on TYGON fuel lines and would like to share it with everyone.

I went to US Plastic Corp http://www.usplastics.com located in Lima Ohio.

I found out that TYGON is the trade name for “Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics” tubing. Located in Akron Ohio. They make many types of tubing and many of the TYGON tubing is not rated for fuel.

The 1st tubing that I looked at was TYGON F-4040-A http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/fil...gon-F4040A.pdf
                      It is designed for fuel and lubricant and small engines, yellow in color, and I think this is what I have used in the past. Note that this tubing does NOT state that it is compatible with ethanol blend fuel. Cost is $1.35 per foot + shipping for ¼” ID.

The 2nd tubing that I looked at was TYGON LP1500 http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/fil...gon-LP1500.pdf
                      It is also designed for fuel and engines, light green in color, is highly flexible, -40f to 185f, and is compatible with 10% ethanol fuel. Cost is $0.94 per foot + shipping for ¼” ID.

The 3rd tubing that I looked at was TYGON LP1100 http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/fil...gon-LP1100.pdf
                      It is also designed for fuel and engines, yellow in color, is highly flexible, -20 f to 165 f, and is compatible with 100% ethanol fuel. Spec sheet states that it “Offers a better alternative to TYGON F-4040-A. Cost is $1.60 per foot + shipping for ¼” ID.

I think I will order some TYGON LP1100 and try it and let everyone know how it works out.
                      Salty dog
                      Eastern NC
                      XJ-1100 Naked Boy

Comment

Cool, we'll check back in a couple years to see the update if it hardened up.
                        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                          Cool, we'll check back in a couple years to see the update if it hardened up.
                          Well, now that just depends on whether that fuel line can get excited or not.

Comment

Tygon

Like Ba80 says, they should be replaced every couple years. But , while you may have some difficulty getting the fuel lines on initially after sitting for a awhile, they soften right up again as soon as the engine warms the lines. I'm not sure which tygon I use, like greg I usually 20 ft at a time. I'll have to check if it's 1100 as well.
                            mack
                            79 XS 1100 SF Special
                            HERMES
                            original owner
                            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                            SPICA
                            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                            IOTA
                            https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                            https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                            Frankford, Ont, Canada
                            613-398-6186

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                              Actually a bad choice. The automotive fuel line has been known to peel off tiny pieces internally and get trapped in unwanted places in carbs. Been several examples of that happening on here over the yrs........just sayin.
                              Eh, good point. Id be more concerned if this bike wasnt a little 2 stroke. Probably shouldn't do that to an xs11
                              1979 XS1100F "Roxy" (my first bike ) - '91 Suzuki GSX1100 Fairing, BMW bags, Cheap ABS Trunk, aftermarket cruiser seat, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Heavy Duty folding kickstart, XS11 Special signals and gauges, Blade Fuse Conversion, Dynacoil Greens w/ ballast bypass, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
                              X