Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at a new XS11

Hello all,

Real quick bio: I'm almost done my first project bike; A 1979 XS400. It has been a blast and I frequented the xs400 forum for support and documentation of my project.

So now I find myself about to take a look at a 1979 XS11 soon and I was hoping the forum could give me a heads up of things to look for. I haven't spoken with the owner yet, all I am going off of is this pic:

Through the grapevine i've heard it runs, but needs some electrical work. That is all I know! Perhaps the previous owner was even active on this forum! Any pointers and tips I could get before looking at the bike is very appreciated!

Spend the big bucks for a mint bike

You will be way ahead by getting the bike that is usually low mileage and mint. It will pay in the end. Same goes for classic cars.
    79 1100 SF Carmine Red stock
    85 Honda v65 Magna
    70 Yamaha HS1 90cc twin Californian Orange
    02 Road King (retirement gift)
    First bike-s 2-1967 Yamaha YM2C Big Bear Scramblers

Comment

Hi Jthiessen,
      Does it come with a Whip to go with the chains
      It is a Standard and appears to be mostly there. The seat is not OEM or has been heavily modified. I suspect the back end has been cut or messed with.
      They all suffer from varying degrees of "electrical problems' which are curable with patients and skill neither of which I posses
      If you have the desire for another project this could be made into a decent ride.
      Airbox is missing in the picture. I would not go beyond the $500 asking price if it actually runs well enough to ride otherwise beat him down on the price.
      It will need all the usual Tires battery cleaning of carbs in addition to sorting the wiring which will have been hacked at by the previous owner as evidenced by the head lights.
      Expect the second gear to need the "fix" after you get it running properly and try out the power
      I Estimate $1500 and a lot of work on top of what ever you pay for it to get a useable bike. When running right the XS11 is awesome
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Interesting headlight
        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
        1981 LH

Comment

pay more and get one that runs!
          Frame: 79 XS1100S
          Engine: 81 XS1100S
          Carbs: 78-79 BS34

Gf bike: 78 XS650S
          Carbs: 70-79 BS38

Pics: http://tinypic.com/2mpmkpjb

Comment

Do what your heart tell you

Don't let the other members scare you away form this project if it's what you want to do.

Only one of my bikes ran when I bought it...because it was only a year old when I bought it 36 years ago.

It's true it usually cost more money to restore something than it does to buy it already competed, but sometime the journey is what is what is all about. Besides, it seems you are looking to make a customized project, not a stock project, so a lot of the cost to fix it up is going to happen anyway.

I'm a fan of stock, not customized, but I have to say you did a really nice job on your XS400 project.

PS: I see the stock airbox is actually there on you prospective victim- it just looks empty without the battery.

For advice: I would try to find a project with less than 50k miles, even though these bikes last over 100k if properly maintained.
            -Mike
            _________
            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

I have seen pictures of that bike here. I am guessing the owner is a member (or at least was a member). Dig around here and see if you can find it. Sometimes you get some good background info about it.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

So it is a 1979 Standard. I am learning something already!

Yes, I'm not a huge fan of the chains... Will definitely address that once I know the bike will run reliably. And is there a full wiring kit available for these bikes? I will definitely get rid of the three level LED headlight ( ) not sure where those would even be street legal.

I've been reading a lot about the dreaded 2nd gear. What is all involved with fixing that?

Comment

Originally posted by j-thiessen View Post
                  ...I've been reading a lot about the dreaded 2nd gear. What is all involved with fixing that?
                  http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5090

It's not to be dreaded (that much). I was able to do it without any previous experience...just followed these instructions. It was enlightening to see how everything works.
                  -Mike
                  _________
                  '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                  '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                  '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                  '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                  '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                  '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                  '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                    I Estimate $1500 and a lot of work on top of what ever you pay for it to get a useable bike.
                    j-thiessen,
                    Last year I purchased a bike in very SIMILAR condition to the one you are considering. I purchased it for $300. I think Phil's estimate of costs to be VERY conservative. If that bike does not run, it's a $300 bike at most.

To get my bike into running and reliable condition it ended up just north of $2,700.00. (including the $300 purchase price) and more than six months to complete the repairs. That did NOT turn the bike into a "SHOWROOM" condition perfect XS11. It turned a pile of crap into a very reliable MOSTLY stock XS11 that is a lot of fun. I had a bunch of fun turning the thing into my favorite ride.

While I worked on that bike, I noticed a couple XS11's for sale locally in "Ready-to-Ride" condition for $2,500. Again, not showroom bikes but very decent looking rides I could have been driving.

Not that I have any plans to sell the bike, but I doubt my XS11 would fetch the $2,700 I spent on it. There are just too many out there in running condition for a whole lot less.

Just my two cents.....

KURT
                    Kurt Boehringer
                    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
                    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
                    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
                    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
                    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Originally posted by kboehringer View Post
                      j-thiessen,
                      Last year I purchased a bike in very SIMILAR condition to the one you are considering. I purchased it for $300. I think Phil's estimate of costs to be VERY conservative. If that bike does not run, it's a $300 bike at most.

To get my bike into running and reliable condition it ended up just north of $2,700.00. (including the $300 purchase price) and more than six months to complete the repairs. That did NOT turn the bike into a "SHOWROOM" condition perfect XS11. It turned a pile of crap into a very reliable MOSTLY stock XS11 that is a lot of fun. I had a bunch of fun turning the thing into my favorite ride.

While I worked on that bike, I noticed a couple XS11's for sale locally in "Ready-to-Ride" condition for $2,500. Again, not showroom bikes but very decent looking rides I could have been driving.

Not that I have any plans to sell the bike, but I doubt my XS11 would fetch the $2,700 I spent on it. There are just too many out there in running condition for a whole lot less.

Just my two cents.....

KURT
                      lol......'running condition'........now that's funny, don't care who you are.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                        lol......'running condition'........now that's funny, don't care who you are.
                        Brent,
                        You mind explaining that? I don't get your humor? What am I missing?
                        KURT
                        Kurt Boehringer
                        Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                        1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                        1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                        1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                        1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                        1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                        1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                        1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                        1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
                        1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
                        1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
                        1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
                        2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Originally posted by kboehringer View Post
                          Brent,
                          You mind explaining that? I don't get your humor? What am I missing?
                          KURT
                          Those selling tend to lean towards those two words..........may run......maybe even down the road........but tuned to run correctly......highly doubtful 99.9% of the time.
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                          X