Siezed carb jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Siezed carb jets

I am doing carb cleaning at 82,000 mi. Fuel air mixture screw and pilot jet in #1 carb are seized-can't get them out. Anyone ever used a micro torch to heat the housings and loosen them up? Good or bad idea? Easier way to get them out?

There are some rubber and plastic bits in the carb that'll probably get ruined by doing this.

The most important thing is to insure a proper sized screwdriver, but if that fails, there are easy-out bits I would try first.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by kflyboy View Post
      I am doing carb cleaning at 82,000 mi. Fuel air mixture screw and pilot jet in #1 carb are seized-can't get them out. Anyone ever used a micro torch to heat the housings and loosen them up? Good or bad idea? Easier way to get them out?
      I'm currently working on the carbs on my 81LH. Fortunately all the jets are coming out easily.

Its usually the pilot jet that doesn't want to come out. For those I have heated the carb body with a propane torch. Usually that and a snug fitting screwdriver is sufficient to remove the jets.
      Darrell
      78E
      80G project
      06FJR

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
        There are some rubber and plastic bits in the carb that'll probably get ruined by doing this.

The most important thing is to insure a proper sized screwdriver, but if that fails, there are easy-out bits I would try first.
        Thanks for the tip. I will try the easy-out method.

Comment

easy out

Originally posted by kflyboy View Post
          Thanks for the tip. I will try the easy-out method.
          Be very careful with the easy out method!
          Go gently and don't overly force it!

Just this week I broke off an easy out bit inside of the pilot jet.
          The jet was THAT frozen that the bit actually broke off!
          And this happened even after a few days of soaking it with PB Blaster.

And what I found out is:
          The easy out bits are even harder than drill bits it seems, because then I couldn't even drill IT out.

Let us know how it works out for you.
          Bob's Bikes:
          79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
          https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
          https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
          "
          Project XS11"
          "Rucksack Grunt"
          "Small Unit Leadership"
          "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
          For Sale Here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger_xs1100 View Post
            Be very careful with the easy out method!
            Go gently and don't overly force it!

Just this week I broke off an easy out bit inside of the pilot jet.
            The jet was THAT frozen that the bit actually broke off!
            And this happened even after a few days of soaking it with PB Blaster.

And what I found out is:
            The easy out bits are even harder than drill bits it seems, because then I couldn't even drill IT out.

Let us know how it works out for you.
            Thanks for the heads up on the easy out system. Didn't realize they are that fragile-have a couple of options now.

Comment

I've used a propane torch many times. Just don't heat it much. The safe way is use hot water. You won't burn/melt/hurt and rubber or anything else. A #1 twist easy out fits the pilot jets like it was made for it.
              79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
              79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Have never had that issue with brass against aluminium, but bettin' a couple drops from a can of Kriol and then left to penetrate for bit will release them able to unscrew. The Kriol has been around for many decades and can be had from places like Ace Hardware, Tru-Valu, etc.. May save from having to replace the pilot jets and such.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hey there,

Instead of a FLAME source, get a heat gun on low, use it on the carb body, then spritz with carb cleaner, REPEAT, the repeated heating/cooling can help break up the corrosion GLUE that has formed between the jet and carb body. And then final heating prior to trying to unscrew it, will hopefully swell the body to loosen it's grip on the jet!?

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Siezed carb jet

Had success by soaking with carb cleaner then soaking rag with carb cleaner and placing on top. Repeated for three days and finally got it to nudge, then did one more day, and got it out.
                    79 XS11
                    79 GL 1000
                    1974 R90 BMW
                    1973 R75/5 BMW

Comment

Originally posted by oldsciman View Post
                      Had success by soaking with carb cleaner then soaking rag with carb cleaner and placing on top. Repeated for three days and finally got it to nudge, then did one more day, and got it out.
                      Glad a little patience and that method worked for you.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                      X