80 mixture screw location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80 mixture screw location?

Hey guys I have the newer style carbs But I cannot find the mixture screws on these carbs? I am trying to adjust them, because I have some backfire on decel through my exhaust. Any tips as if they came with any or if there is a way to mod them to get to them? thanks.
    80 XS1110 SG, RD400

They are in the exact same spot as on the earlier cards except the are capped by a aluminum plug. The screws are smaller and fit down inside the towers.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Got it so drill the caps or vice grip them off and remove them?
      80 XS1110 SG, RD400

Comment

A small drill bit, used very carefully, so when you pop through the cap, it doesn't go down and hit the soft brass jet below it, then a small pick, or even a small screw threaded into that hole and pry the cap up and out.
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I didn't think there were any left that still had the caps in them!
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
            I didn't think there were any left that still had the caps in them!
            Yeppers......have a retired neighbor 'bout a half mile away with an 81 Special that STILL has the OEM tin covers over idle mixture screws. All I've ever had to do for him on that scoot was sync the two carb pairs back even....adjust one screw and done. Bike performs beautiful through ALL rpm ranges from idle up!
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I kept the caps on mine for quite a few years. If they're kept good and clean, it probably isn't necessary to pull them off. The only reason I finally pulled mine off were when I was installing the Dynajet kit... and several people on here insisting I needed to. I didn't really need to.
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by e30 gangsta View Post
                Got it so drill the caps or vice grip them off and remove them?
                I removed mine last night after i replaced the jets

drilled a 1/8" hole, and tapped a small allen wrench into it (short leg), which gave me the leverage to wiggle them free.
                80 SG

Comment

Just finished getting to them. Gave them all a half a turn out from wherever they were factory hopefully it helps a with the popping on decel
                  80 XS1110 SG, RD400

Comment

Originally posted by e30 gangsta View Post
                    Just finished getting to them. Gave them all a half a turn out from wherever they were factory hopefully it helps a with the popping on decel
                    Should.......and then some. Actually, an eighth to a quarter turn out at most richens mixture up more than one would think.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                    X