Boost sensor delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boost sensor delete

I would like delete my boost sensor for a minimal wiring. Can I do it without problem? I don't care about fuel economie. Thanks!
    83 XJ1100
    06 FZ1 naked abarth

No you can't. It provides signal to the TCI to properly advance the timing. You would have to convert to a different type ignition that does not need the sensor in order to remove it.
    Your bike will loose most of its get up and go if it is not there.
    Slow down and enjoy life. If you are in that much of a hurry, you should have left eariler.
    Current rides:
    80 XS1100SG
    82 JX1100
    83 Venture Royale
    86 V-Max

Comment

Hey Mark,

I have to disagree. The boost sensor/vacuum sensor does provide the signal for the TCI to control the level of vac. adv., but not necessarily the cent. adv. curve which is controlled by the rpms. The vac. adv. mostly provides the additional amount of timing adv. for the increased fuel economy under low throttle cruising speed/rpm. When the throttle is cracked open for POWER, the vac. adv. signal is diminished and the timing is actually retarded back to the more POWERFUL level of max ~35 degrees of cent. adv. vs. the higher timing advance during cruising.

I know of a member with an XJ that put an 81 4RO TCI on it, and no vac. adv. signal, and he reported the same level of power as before with the XJ 10M TCI. I realize that the 4RO TCI doesn't have the vac. adv. curves programmed into it, but since it would have used the mechanical vac. adv. signal and timing adjustments, and since his XJ didn't have the vac. pot, his engine never saw any vac. adv. timing input.

If his bike is in condition to run, he could test it by just capping the boost sensor and take it for a test run to see if it performs with the same throttle response as before with it.

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I'll keep it for the moment because my bike is not running due to major electrical refresh. I will do some test later. Thank you guys!
        83 XJ1100
        06 FZ1 naked abarth

Comment

Working...
        X