Carb Setup Doubts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Setup Doubts

Hello all this is my first thread here in the forums about my first bike ever. Its a 79 xs1100 standard, picked it up about a month ago and hasn't ran in two years. When I got it, it had no fuel hoses connected so I bough a service manual and attempted to connect everything again, but I have some doubts.
    First Doubt: There are two inlets to the carbs. One for fuel and the other is the vent? Also which is fuel upper or lower? I'm assuming its upper
    Second Doubt: From the fuel diagram, I see the "octopus" valve receives vacuum from the engine but I am not entirely sure if the line goes straight into it or into one of the carb boots.
    Thanks in advance guys looking forward to getting this setup correctly and firing her up.
    79 SF

Originally posted by SSthis79 View Post
    Hello all this is my first thread here in the forums about my first bike ever. Its a 79 xs1100 standard, picked it up about a month ago and hasn't ran in two years. When I got it, it had no fuel hoses connected so I bough a service manual and attempted to connect everything again, but I have some doubts.
    First Doubt: There are two inlets to the carbs. One for fuel and the other is the vent? Also which is fuel upper or lower? I'm assuming its upper
    Second Doubt: From the fuel diagram, I see the "octopus" valve receives vacuum from the engine but I am not entirely sure if the line goes straight into it or into one of the carb boots.
    Thanks in advance guys looking forward to getting this setup correctly and firing her up.
    SS79,
    RE: First Doubt:
    Fuel ENTERS the carbs between #1 & #2 AND between #3 & #4. They are black fitting "T's" between the carbs just above the fuel bowls. That's where the fuel is plumbed. The upper are the VENTS. They should be hosed to the air box.
    RE: Second Doubt: The hose to activate the OCTY is plumbed to a carb boot and then directly to the back port on the OCTY. I believe in stock form it goes to #2 but it really doesn't matter. The #2 CARB has a port on it that is used for the vacuum advance mechanism. The #2 is the ONLY carb with that port and it is the only place you can put the Vac Advance.... Don't mix those up!

KURT
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

The lower T's are the fuel inlets and the upper T's are vents on the 78-79 carbs. There is no octy on the Standard model bikes, they use vacuum controlled fuel taps instead.
      Last edited by bikerphil; 05-05-2016, 08:15 PM.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Hi SS,
        Standards do not have the Octy.
        So do you have the bike identified correctly?
        On a standard tank the petcock has two outlets. The one pointing down is for the fuel line and the one pointing forward is for the vacuum hose.

Pictures help a lot. we love pictures especially of XS11's and their parts

Welcome to the madness
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
          There is no octy on the Standard model bikes
          OOOOps.... Missed that he said STANDARD.
          Kurt Boehringer
          Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
          1978 - SR500 - Thumper
          1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
          1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
          1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
          1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
          1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
          1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
          1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
          1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
          1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
          1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
          2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

I jus checked my vin and its a sf model not sure what the difference is
            79 SF

Comment

The SF means you have a 1979 xs1100 special and is the reason you are dealing with an Octy. The specials had that.
              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
              Jim

Comment

Originally posted by SSthis79 View Post
                I jus checked my vin and its a sf model not sure what the difference is
                That be a 79Special, which originally had the Special tank and used the 'octy'. By your original statement about the petcocks, that makes the fuel tank original. The petcocks are different between the Special and Standard fuel tanks. Petcocks are NOT interchangeable between the two tanks either. Connections on the Special petcocks are different and have different functions between the two models also. If that wasn't to confusing for ya', there are those here that own the Specials, and are way more familiar and can make hooking fuel lines and vacuum lines up correctly less confusing than I would.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Seems

like your questions have been answered. Most of us with specials get rid of the "octy" all together. It simplifies the plumbing a great deal!
                  mack
                  79 XS 1100 SF Special
                  HERMES
                  original owner
                  http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                  SPICA
                  http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                  IOTA
                  https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                  https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                  Frankford, Ont, Canada
                  613-398-6186

Comment

Yeah after messing with it for a while I think I want to get rid of it. Would any of you guys mind drawing up a fuel line diagram without the octy? Not entirely sure how it would go.
                    79 SF

Comment

Hey there,

You need to EDIT your profile/signature and change your bike from 79F to 79SF if you have the octy.

Next, the front nipples of the petcocks are just for the PRIME function, won't be needed, so you can cap them off. Next, run the fuel line from the right petcock across to the LEFT side carb bank pair and connect to the carb inlet. Do the same for the left petock to the right side. Good idea to put an inline filter between petcock and carbs. Try not to have the line drop too far below the carb inlet to help facilitate flow. Also, if worried about the petcocks failing/leaking you can put an inline cut off valve also.

The vacuum line from the Octy to the carb intake can be removed, and just cap off the sync port on the carb intake.

I thought we had an image diagramming this process, but can't find it amongst the tech tips, but the above description should be easy to follow.

T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                      X