Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waterproofing Connectors - Biker Friends....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
    I've been saying that since post #12.
    Have to agree....... dielectic grease has worked on all the plug-ins behind fuse panel on my Venturer for some 7+yrs. now with never an issue since done.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by clcorbin View Post
      Electrical connectors are a GREAT place for dielectric grease! If your connectors are in good shape, even if you pack that connector completely FULL of grease, there will NOT be any grease between the actual electrical contact points when the connector is assembled. The actual contact point (usually a line) on an electrical connector actually goes together with thousands of PSI of pressure and it is a sliding contact. The grease, along with the oxide and other crap gets forced out of the contact surface when you assemble it.

If that doesn't happen (either the oxide or the grease remains), then you have a bad connector that has lost too much tension. The crappy 35+ year old contacts on these bikes are prone to ****ty contact because they have lost tension. But that is still a problem of ****ty contacts, not a case of dialectric grease. If you can't make a good connection with dialectric grease, but you can without it, replace the connector because it is only a matter of time before it will leave on the side of the road.

The advantages of dialectic grease are many, but mainly they keep moisture out of the contacts (which reduces corrosion and extends the life of the contact) and can prevent water from shorting out adjoining contacts. The pros definitely out weight the cons.
      Yup.......
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
        Hey Greg,

That's a lot smaller than the big FAIRINGS people have on the front of their bikes. He'll probably still get plenty of air circulating around that little piece/guard, possibly even more that what some folks get with full fairings.

T.C.
        I meant for stopping the misfire TC.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Yes Greg we all know you said it but since you continued to argue with us when we agree with you, it was just more fun to keep going
          To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
          1980 G Silverbird
          Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
          1198 Overbore kit
          Grizzly 660 ACCT
          Barnett Clutch Springs
          R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
          122.5 Main Jets
          ACCT Mod
          Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
          Antivibe Bar ends
          Rear trunk add-on
          http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by ViperRon View Post

Yes Greg we all know you said it but since you continued to argue with us when we agree with you, it was just more fun to keep going
            Ha ha ha ha.....I wasn't arguing, just stating known facts.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Poor Greg...

Can't get no respect. No neither, no how.

You'd think he was red-headed step child or somethin'?
              '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
              "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                Poor Greg...

Can't get no respect. No neither, no how.

You'd think he was red-headed step child or somethin'?
                Bob, buy some maps and you won't turn the wrong way.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

lol......bet ya' got one for me to......well, nevermind.
                  But I WILL say, you are the one that gets my 'more confused than a feather in a whirlwind' explanations squared away. At least YOU follow what I'm trying to verbilize here. From my perspective, it just doesn't come out and get typed in an orderly fashion at times!
                  Last edited by motoman; 05-19-2016, 08:06 PM.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Is that all you got?? That's the thanks you give me for takin' up for ya when everbody else was giving ya crap??
                    Thanks, buddy!

Besides, I usually don't have a problem going the "correct" direction, (notice I didn't say "right"?)

It's only happened when I'm following someone on a group ride somewhere I've never been, and I get a call asking which way we turned at an intersection on said ride that I mistook for another intersection... (which happened to be where we turned the opposite direction...oops! MY BAD.)

Gee... ya make one little mistake... and they never let ya live it down...

Just feel lucky I've never done that to YOU.

Besides, I usually rely on Bohn for the paper maps! Too bad Joe didn't get Bohn's cell number instead of mine that day...
                    Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 05-20-2016, 07:51 AM.
                    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Working...
                    X