Special Exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Exhaust?

Anyone ever seen a Special exhaust with the muffler attached like an XJ?

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

In parts catalog. As repair kit

I have one on my 79 special right now. I spoke with the Yamaha dealer who told me the exhaust was available with muffler or without. Muffler or headpipe could be ordered separately.
    79 1100 SF Carmine Red stock
    85 Honda v65 Magna
    70 Yamaha HS1 90cc twin Californian Orange
    02 Road King (retirement gift)
    First bike-s 2-1967 Yamaha YM2C Big Bear Scramblers

Comment

Hmmmm.....first I've heard of that.

I have a right side in pretty good shape.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Yes I have had one like that. Don't remember which bike it was on though.

John
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
          Yes I have had one like that. Don't remember which bike it was on though.

John
          You don't say!
          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by vedgar View Post
            I have one on my 79 special right now. I spoke with the Yamaha dealer who told me the exhaust was available with muffler or without. Muffler or headpipe could be ordered separately.
            XJ model, they are separate. All XS1100 series are not. Left side and right side are one complete unit including the far left header pipe and far right side header pipe.
            Last edited by motoman; 05-04-2016, 04:02 PM.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
              XJ model, they are separate. All XS1100 series are not. Left side and right side are one complete unit including the far left header pipe and far right side header pipe.
              Read post #2 again. Most particularly the first line in bold letters Brant.
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I am thinking those in the picture are like a set I have. They are not handy right now (well the muffler part is just not the header part). I posted pics of them a long while back in a tread but I can not recall which one. TC was part of the discussion as I recall and has to do with factory replacement exhaust. My search abilities suck worse than a Hoover, so I am not even going to try a search.
                2-79 XS1100 SF
                2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Yeah, it looks just like an XJ exhaust but it has a Special muffler on it.

Seems to me that's the way Yamaha should have built it from the git-go.
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

The ones I have do have a Yamaha part number on them as they were replacement for on of the specials.
                    does say designed for pre 82 model year motorcycles only and also has the part number 3H3=14721 on them.
                    Last edited by Rasputin; 05-04-2016, 05:43 PM.
                    2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                      The ones I have do have a Yamaha part number on them as they were replacement for on of the specials.
                      does say designed for pre 82 model year motorcycles only and als has the part number 3H3=14721 on them.
                      That's what vedgar said, it's a Yamaha replacement.

I bet they were pricey.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

If I recall correctly they were $580 Canuck bucks (per side) in 1983 when I had to replace the exhaust on my 79 special which is the reason it has the Jardine spaghetti exhaust on it to this day.
                        2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                          Read post #2 again. Most particularly the first line in bold letters Brant.
                          Did......Vedgar and dealer both have it confused with the one for an XJ1100. Again...... Sorry, butALL XS11s exhaust were one piece from either far left or far right header pipe...even replacements, which have been NA new from dealers for a few decades now. BTW, 80 and earlier XS11 exhaust had enough collector pipe that an XJ muffler could be slipped on as a replacement. Not the case for 81Venturers nor Specials as they had no extra collector pipe in order to slip any type of exhaust on......unless you welded a 3" extension on collector end first, and then slip an XJ muffler on lining up the muffler support bracket with frame mount portion of bracket in order to look correct. So, there ya' go.....a bit more to it that all ya' thought!
                          Last edited by motoman; 05-04-2016, 09:02 PM.
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                            Did......Vedgar and dealer both have it confused with the one for an XJ1100. Again...... Sorry, butALL XS11s exhaust were one piece from either far left or far right header pipe...even replacements, which have been NA new from dealers for a few decades now. BTW, 80 and earlier XS11 exhaust had enough collector pipe that an XJ muffler could be slipped on as a replacement. Not the case for 81Venturers nor Specials as they had no extra collector pipe in order to slip any type of exhaust on......unless you welded a 3" extension on collector end first, and then slip an XJ muffler on lining up the muffler support bracket with frame mount portion of bracket in order to look correct. So, there ya' go.....a bit more to it that all ya' thought!
                            So explain the fact that these say "designed for pre 82 model year motorcycles only" stamped into the ID plate!
                            2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

OK, I will post pictures for the non believers.

I found one I have stored in the basement.
                              79 1100 SF Carmine Red stock
                              85 Honda v65 Magna
                              70 Yamaha HS1 90cc twin Californian Orange
                              02 Road King (retirement gift)
                              First bike-s 2-1967 Yamaha YM2C Big Bear Scramblers

Comment

Working...
                              X