Pod Filter Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pod Filter Mod

I highly doubt I am the first to do this, but i haven't seen any other posts so i'm posting pics...

One of the main complaints about the Emgo or similar style air filters, is that the inner lip causes interference with the upper port in the carb throat (sorry, don't know the technical name).
    There are numerous posts which mention building a "stack" using various materials, such as PVC, but this is the route i chose to go...

WARNING: This requires irreversible changes to your airbox components. if there's a chance you may want to reinstall it at a later date, i would recommend finding suitable replacements to work with.

Disclaimer: Before people yell at me for "Destroying a perfectly good airbox", the one that came with my bike was trash. the left side was all smashed in. I'm merely salvaging what i can from it.

I Removed the rubber tubes from the existing airbox, and trimmed them down, just enought that the pod would fit flush against the large bevel on the tube.

Using a utility knife, with a fresh blade, it took no more than a couple minutes each.
    My only recommendation is not to cut it too short initially.
    Be generous with the first cut, the test fit will show how much additional trimming is necessary.

Personally, I like the "stockish" look, and the fact that it frees up space for fuel line routing, while also closing up the gap a bit (towards the rear cover).

One note: each of the tubes has a slightly different bend, so it may take some time to position them to your liking...
    Mine are still a bit "Wonky", but i kind of like it...
    Last edited by Brak; 05-01-2016, 12:36 AM.
    80 SG

Is it just me or are the pictures blocked on the post?
    ---
    Marko
    '81 SH

Comment

Originally posted by mn2346 View Post
      Is it just me or are the pictures blocked on the post?
      Hmmm... I've been having problems lately with pictures hosted on Google Photos...

there is no edit button for me to fix the original post, so here they are on imgur...

80 SG

Comment

Or, you could just get the correct pods and use Photobucket.

http://s154.photobucket.com/
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
        X