Grinding Down Rectifier Fins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding Down Rectifier Fins

So, I bought the latest & greatest R/R for my Triumph. SH-847. My problem is the R/R is too big for the area. I made an adapter bracket for it.

I want to grind the fins down a little so it can fit in the area it belongs. Will this hurt the rectifier? It's just aluminum, right?
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
    It's just aluminum, right?
    Just aluminum that dissipates heat and cools the rectifier.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

As long as the g-forces of the grinding do not damage the semiconductor(s) inside. Is the heatsink integrated or can you remove the heatsink from the electronics?
      82 XJ1100 - sold
      96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
      2000 ZRX1100 - sold
      2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

Integrated. It's an OEM R/R.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          Just aluminum that dissipates heat and cools the rectifier.
          What he said. XS1100 is a PMA alternator, correct? The faster you spin it, the more current is coming off the stator. If you aren't using the current, it's got to go somewhere. Heat, it is!
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

I know the function of a heat sink, lol. My point was, the material of the heat sink is aluminum, right? Nothing special, not fibers or anything running through it, right?
            1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
              What he said. XS1100 is a PMA alternator, correct? The faster you spin it, the more current is coming off the stator. If you aren't using the current, it's got to go somewhere. Heat, it is!
              This is on his Triumph Marty, but the same principal.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                This is on his Triumph Marty, but the same principal.
                Thanks. I'm sorry for not paying attention. Is the Triumph alternator a PMA or does it have brushes? The ones with the brushes won't be such a heat problem as the PMA.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

From my understanding, this new R/R gets VERY hot to the touch. I wonder if it'll get hot enough to melt the fairing.
                  1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                    From my understanding, this new R/R gets VERY hot to the touch. I wonder if it'll get hot enough to melt the fairing.
                    Then grinding fins might not be a good idea. Can you relocate it to someplace where there's good airflow and enough room for it to remain in the configuration it was designed?
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

That's the thing: I'm already using a Triumph-branded extension cable that's meant for the location it's in. The SH-847 is off a 2015 V-Strom.
                      1979 XS1100F

Comment

That's why I always say......with mods, you're on your own.
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

The R/R units from Geezer don't plug and play for the XJ, you have to do some grinding to get it by the wire harness. Mine has been working fine for years since. I wouldn't personally think shaving a few fins down is going to affect anything.
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I decided to not modify a $160 rectifier, and instead I'l modify the Triumph Link Lead, and extend it, then put some Rivet Nuts in the frame, and mount it elsewhere.
                            1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                              The R/R units from Geezer don't plug and play for the XJ, you have to do some grinding to get it by the wire harness. Mine has been working fine for years since. I wouldn't personally think shaving a few fins down is going to affect anything.
                              Your XJ has a battery excited rotor. Heat is not going to be a big problem on that one.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Working...
                              X