Exhaust flange problem. HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust flange problem. HELP

Well guys I have a bit of a problem. I bought an exhaust off a member here for my xs. Its a nos racer 1 exhaust, I went to go install it today and no cigar. It seems like the header flanges are completely different. The only way this exhaust will work is if I chop the flanges off, and weld my flanges to it. I do not have a welder, so I would have to send this off to a shop and hope they don't break my arm off with the cost. I do not understand why this exhaust does not fit seeing as all the literature that came with it says that it is for an xs1100. My only guess is that either the flanges changed throughout the years, or the standard and specials have different flanges? If thats the case is there any other differences between the years and or models? Exhaust pick up points, etc? Thanks.

80 XS1110 SG, RD400

Easy and cheap solution, get longer exhaust studs....

Unthread the old studs, thread in the newer and longer studs and whal-la!
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

If I get longer exhaust studs the pipes will still not fit correctly in the exhaust port moving the entire exhaust where it meets at the collector forward about 1 inch. Not to mention I will have a huge exhaust leak due to the fact that I will not be able to run an exhaust gasket. Or do these pipes have one built in?
      80 XS1110 SG, RD400

Comment

I came into the same issue. I bought an '80 left side muffler. What you have to do is make a spacer on the lathe. It'll sit in-between the collar and the flange of the pipe. Don't ask me for a pic, as the bike is in storage. But, it's exactly the solution for your issue.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

If u need a visual, it would look like a 3/8" width, split collar. The thicker end would push the header flange into the cylinder head, and the skinny end would sit in the collar. It has to be thick enough for the collar to press it. It should also obviously be split into two, like the valve collet keepers.
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I understand 100% what you are describing. But I'd rather not get into modifying the exhaust. I tried new studs, longer hardware everything we could at my local shop to get it to work without modfying the exhaust. No go. The seller was nice enough to offer a full refund. I will just pack it all back up neatly and return it to him. Thanks guys.
            80 XS1110 SG, RD400

Comment

Umm, what the heck are you talking about, lol? I think you misunderstood what I described. You're making a sleeve to sit between the collar and exhaust flange. A split collar. Has nothing to do with the exhaust pipe. It's split, so it surrounds the header.
              1979 XS1100F

Comment

Again, it has nothing to do with the exhaust.
                1979 XS1100F

Comment

I understand what you mean. I guess I should of been more clear when I tried to say I dont not want to have to modify anything to bolt this exhaust on. Even if it requires me making a sleeve for the exhaust flange. Regardless it will still not line up at the collector. Thank you for your help.
                  80 XS1110 SG, RD400

Comment

So, you're willing to try longer exhaust studs (modifying), but not make a simple spacer? Smh . . . And, the spacer will allow it to line-up just fine. You're trying to fill the gap.

Btw, Steve did a great write-up on the exhaust difference between the models, including details on the flange differences.
                    1979 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                    X