Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intermittent tach...

Hi Guys!

So lately I have had the problem of the tach stop working for a few minutes and then come back by itself....

I think it may be in an electrical connector, because when this happens the turn signals, neutral light, fuel light also don't work.

Does anyone have a best guess as to where to look first?

Thanks in advance!
    Joe
    80 SG

Charging system, and it's means of connection. Battery, stator, R/R, and connectors in-between. There is a write-up here somewhere.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

If the tach acts up, also check the alternator magnetic field on the right side cover when the key is on. A piece of iron should be attracted strongly. If the tach and the alternator are not functioning properly:

1. pull off the right side cover,
      2. undo and pull the fuse panel plate out of the way,
      3. clean the connectors to the alternator and the field coil,
      4. Put some dielectric grease on them to keep water out.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I have been told...the contact in the ignition (key) system can cause issues
        as well...might want to clean them while your at it...Good luck
        79 XS 1100 Special "Basket Case"

Comment

awesome posts, thanks!

I know my Ign switch is mechanically wrecked and have a replacement for it. The checklist is where I will start.
          And any connectors I get to touch will get cleaned as well!

This wealth of knowledge being shared make it SO much easier to own a 36 year old bike.... Fortunately, the bikes are awesome as well.
          80 SG

Comment

One other thing...After I clean my connections...I cleaned every ground I
            could find...I installed a ground from the negative battery post to clean bare
            ( paint removed ) metal on the frame...So far I have grounded my TCI ,R/R
            and head light to frame...If it has a ground wire...I will ground it to frame...
            I'm a firm believer in good ground mods...my charging system is working
            better than it ever has...lights and blinkers are a little brighter...Your Call...
            Good Luck
            79 XS 1100 Special "Basket Case"

Comment

Working...
            X