Finally took my 1979 XS 1100SF for a ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally took my 1979 XS 1100SF for a ride

Well...I'm asking myself if all the work was worth it...I'm only 5' 8" tall and I'm here to tell you...these bike aren't built for comfort are they...the drivers
    foot pegs are to far back...I took it out just to check the gears...I wanted to
    make sure it wasn't popping out of gear or other issues...other than the bike
    being the most uncomfortable bike I have even driven...the transmission is
    fine...which is a plus...one other issue is the height of the bike...backing it up
    is a job with my short legs...I loved the power and the way it handles...I was
    thinking of a heel & toe setup...anybody using one ? I have steel pins in my
    left (Shifter) knee...they been in there 25yrs or more...With my knees bent the
    way they are while driving...shifting into higher gears is really hard for me...On
    most bikes I use my heel to shift up...with the pickup coil cover...I can't do this
    on this bike...the shifter is hiding behind the pickup coil cover...Any idea ??? Thanks
    79 XS 1100 Special "Basket Case"

For starters, remove the shift lever pinch bolt completely, remove shift lever and re-position it then re-istall the pinch bolt.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

There are things, creature comfort things, that you won't have on ANY bike you ride.

Some things you can get used to, some you can change.

If all you're worried about is how comfy you are, there's always the obscenely overpriced, grossly underpowered, noisy recliners that carry the Harley Davidson label.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Hey Harry,

First, congrats on getting that 1st ride in!!!

Have read of folks getting heel/toe type shifters off of some Honda rebels or such to provide the heel type shifting action you are looking for. As was mentioned, you can reposition the shifter lever arm to allow easier pulling up action without having to pull your toes so far up, but this can also require more distance your toe has to push down to downshift....unless you were to use your heel on the toe portion to downshift.

Inexpensive replacement shift levers can be got, and if you know a welder or can weld your self, then you could cut off the spline section, and then weld the toe portion onto the rear of the OEM shift lever to provide the heel portion?? JAT!

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter4119 View Post
          Well...I'm asking myself if all the work was worth it...I'm only 5' 8" tall and I'm here to tell you...these bike aren't built for comfort are they...the drivers
          fine...which is a plus...one other issue is the height of the bike...backing it up
          way they are while driving...shifting into higher gears is really hard for me...On
          most bikes I use my heel to shift up...with the pickup coil cover...I can't do this
          on this bike...the shifter is hiding behind the pickup coil cover...Any idea ??? Thanks
          You could cut down the seat foam a bit to lower bike and switch to shocks an inch shorter to lower the back a bit. Add crash cages with fold down pegs. Much better.

John
          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Hey Harry,

Here's a Heel/Toe off of a 71 Honda CL70.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/71-Honda-CL7...-/201543009185

I don't know if the shaft is the same size as the Yamaha, but would think it might be??

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TC...So are we talking about lowering the shifter to make it easier to shift up
              to higher gears...??? I should have some Virago shifters around here and a guy
              that does some small welding jobs for me for a few bucks...might get on that
              in a day or two...rain on its way for tomorrow and the day after...crap...than I
              need to address the height of the bike issue...A couple inches out of the seat and some memory foam should do the trick...Like I said...I liked the power and
              the way it handled...don't want to loose any handling if I can help it...can you recommend a low profile seat that will fit a 79 XS1100 SF...I find the stock seat
              rather hard to get on and off...unless something is wrong with mine...Don't you
              think its a little much undoing 4 nuts to get the seat off...??? Also, I will admit
              I really enjoyed the first ride...I need to adjust the clutch...it releases 1/3" from
              the bar...to soon for my taste...Thanks

PS...Heading to the Harley Stealership first thing in the morning...WTF

Comment

Any chance you can post up a photo of the 4 nuts you're undoing to get the seat off? On a normal Xs11 seat, there's only 2 captive nuts that fit into slots in the frame mounting lugs that you loosen, then pull the seat to the rear to disengage the front mount tang under the tank, then lift the front of the seat slightly as you pull it forward to let the 2 rear nuts slide clear of the slots.
                79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
                Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
                *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
                *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

One other thing, Joseph. You've got this thread titled " Finally took my 1979 XS 1100SF for a ride"
                  If this is the bike you're talking about, it's not an SF, it's just an "F"

The major clue was the headlight brackets, which won't fit on a special head set unless they're cut down, and the fork sliders, which are the Standard type, not the leading axle ones as on a Special.

There are some significant differences between the 2 models which could affect the results of someone trying to assist you with your bike.

Just an example is in your lost cylinder thread, where Greg was asking about the fuel lines and octy, your bike doesn't have an octy, so checking these items would've proved futile.

Not picking on you, mate. Just trying to avoid issues down the track.
                  P.S. You might want to change the model type in your signature, as that's where a lot of us look to see what we're dealing with.
                  Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
                  *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar

Comment

Hey Everyready...I think you have 2 posts mixed up...The above picture
                    isn't a picture of my bike...Lol...No big deal...my seat has 4 (2 on each side)
                    bolts that slide into 4 rubber grommets that are on the frame rail on the bike and nuts/washer screw onto each bolt...I think a 10mm socket will fit the nut
                    ...to tell you the truth...I don't use the nuts...I just line them up after the front
                    is lock in and push it down...the bolts go through the grommet and leave it like
                    that...

Comment

TC...See post #7...any advice ???? Thanks

Comment

I have a heel toe shifter on mine. I like it and really only use my heel to shift either way. It came with a set of floorboards that I bought for it.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

My deepest apologies, mate. I do have the posts mixed up as I was searching your prior posts for a photo of your bike, I found that one, but it was in a thread you had replied to, not started, so once again, sorry.

Regarding the seat retention, Those 4 x 10mm bolts that you are undoing are what mounts the brackets to the underside of the seat.
                          The long 14mm nuts you can see between them in this pic are the ones to loosen to allow the seat to be removed normally.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter4119 View Post
                            Hello.! I feel your pain.! Also left knee challenge.! These bikes R tall and heavy,with controls to far back unfortunately. But if you R in good enough shape to ride ,tons of fun,and fast.!So be that as it may.Sometimes you just have to go buy the bike that fits us better.Forward controls. Swept back bars ,low to ground.Ride with a smile rather than a frown and or pain.!!Good luck.!
                            1980xs1100.sg Pacifica Fairing ..stock.
                            2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100.! ⛺

Comment

Thanks Everyready...I knew there had to be an easier way to get the seat off and on...I'll contact the local bike salvage yard and see if they have a seat
                              that has the mounting hardware...the PO removed the 14mm section on mine
                              somehow...your picture explains a lot...thanks again
                              Hi Nate...Do you know what kind of bike your heel & toe shifter and floor boards came off of...? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X