Differences between XS and XJ airboxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between XS and XJ airboxes

I've been scouring posts looking for hints and tips for removing the carbs on my XJ. Seems that I need to remove the lower portion of the airbox first, but I'm not seeing wingnuts. Also the V shaped bracket on top seems to only have 2 screws, instead of the 4 that need to be loosened.

This middle screw on the underside of the airbox nearest the carbs is going to be a challenge!

Found my XJ on 19 March 2016

I have not taken the carbs off of my XJ1100 yet but will be doing so soon.

On my XJ650, I shoved the airbox boots into the airbox. This is standard procedure that is recommended on xjbikes.com. I did not do anything to the airbox to remove the carbs.
    82 XJ1100 - sold
    96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
    2000 ZRX1100 - sold
    2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

Originally posted by BLK86TRBO View Post
      I've been scouring posts looking for hints and tips for removing the carbs on my XJ. Seems that I need to remove the lower portion of the airbox first, but I'm not seeing wingnuts. Also the V shaped bracket on top seems to only have 2 screws, instead of the 4 that need to be loosened.

This middle screw on the underside of the airbox nearest the carbs is going to be a challenge!

FYI, in reference to an XS's airbox, those four top screws NEVER want to be removed, or you WILL have at least a half-day project re-installing the internal retainer nuts in order to install top screws back in. As far as the XJ airbox, never have owned one so of no help other than I know the XJ airbox CAN be a PITA to remove and install.
      Last edited by motoman; 04-05-2016, 10:12 PM.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I have never removed my air box when doing Carbs on the XJ. It looks too complicated I just fight the carbs on and off It is a PIA but it can be done
        82 XJ1100J
        81 Venturer
        Newly acquired Aches N Pains collection

Comment

I have pulled the carbs on my XJ many times and it can be challenging. It is harder to do than the XS, but as with everything gets easier with repetition.

Someone on the forums suggested using a hair dryer to warm up the rubber boots, which sounds like a great idea, but I've never tried it. Also watch the throttle parts that flop around and get caught on everything as you push the rack out.

As with any carb removal, it starts with loosening everything up and sliding the clamps back on their rubber boots. Remove the airbox mounting bolts (not the screws in the top bracket as it gains you little on the XJ) and push the airbox back as far as possible. I recommend spraying some WD-40 on the carb holders to help protect and lubricate when sliding the rack out.

After undoing everything, I rotate the rear of the rack up away from the airbox boots so the engine side is angled down and mostly out of the carb holders. Then lots of pushing and wiggling and slide the rack out of the left side. Watch where the throttle parts flop around and make sure it isn't hanging up on anything and re-position the bank as necessary. I have slid the bank out of both sides, but prefer the left side.
          82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
          Website/Blog

Comment

XJ11 carb removal is easy. I made this pic guide a few years ago on XJbikes.com.

http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/thread...-almost.29695/

A set of carbs can be removed from any XS or XJ 11 in about 15 minutes
            Slow down and enjoy life. If you are in that much of a hurry, you should have left eariler.
            Current rides:
            80 XS1100SG
            82 JX1100
            83 Venture Royale
            86 V-Max

Comment

XJ carbs are a snap. Remove all screws holding airbox, then throw everything into the trash. Put on pods, slip into carb boots, connect throttle cable and off you go.
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                XJ carbs are a snap. Remove all screws holding airbox, then throw everything into the trash. Put on pods, slip into carb boots, connect throttle cable and off you go.
                Yep thats exactly what I did...K+N pods too...not those cheapies that you have to mill the insides of the intake boots...LOL
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by mlew View Post
                  A set of carbs can be removed from any XS or XJ 11 in about 15 minutes
                  There are a few conditions to this, I would say, such as excellent condition rubber boots, patience and physical dexterity. For the first time, I would give it an hour. You also need to account for getting fuel lines disconnected and out of the way and I usually drain the bowls beforehand.

If never done before, it would probably take 15 minutes just to loosen the clamps and get the throttle cable disconnected.
                  Website/Blog

Comment

True , 15 minutes once you have done it a few times.
                    Slow down and enjoy life. If you are in that much of a hurry, you should have left eariler.
                    Current rides:
                    80 XS1100SG
                    82 JX1100
                    83 Venture Royale
                    86 V-Max

Comment

Possibly, but in 15 minutes, I can have mine out, a bowl off to check things, then re-installed without uttering a single cuss word!

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100

Comment

Possibly, but in 15 minutes, I can have mine out, a bowl off to check things, then re-installed without uttering a single cuss word!
                        Now that I would like to see... OFC you've done it many times already...
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                          Now that I would like to see... OFC you've done it many times already...
                          Saw him do it in a parking lot by Lake Superior once. Even got pictures....

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Yeah, that was what... 10th time that weekend? lol. Lots of practice, Ben. Harry wishes he had pictures of me riding down the road, standing up and kicking the @#$& out of my carbs, trying to get them to quit free-flowing. If I would have had an airbox to deal with then, I would have just lit the bike on fire and roasted hotdogs over its burning corpse.
                            Last edited by trbig; 04-06-2016, 01:56 PM.

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100

Comment

... kicking the @#$& out of my carbs, trying to get them to quit free-flowing.
                              Must be the pods
                              Website/Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X