Quick transmission fix question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick transmission fix question

I've been getting ready to tear into my bike's transmission for the dreaded 2nd gear fix. My only concern is that the guide says the transmission needs to be in 4th gear to do most of the work. However, my bike will only shift to either 2nd or 3rd. Will that be a problem going forward?

I should mention that I planned on doing the fix with the motor out of the frame, but I haven't taken it out yet. The head and cylinder have been removed but the bottom end remains until I get this bit sorted out.
    Last edited by fullmetal; 04-04-2016, 06:49 PM.
    80 G

Sounds like you're missing pins out of the shift drum.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by fullmetal View Post
      I've been getting ready to tear into my bike's transmission for the dreaded 2nd gear fix. My only concern is that the guide says the transmission needs to be in 4th gear to do most of the work. However, my bike will only shift to either 2nd or 3rd. Will that be a problem going forward?

I should mention that I planned on doing the fix with the motor out of the frame, but I haven't taken it out yet. The head and cylinder have been removed but the bottom end remains until I get this bit sorted out.
      What that inability to shift up into 4th while the bike was running, or just now with it sitting?

If running, then like BA80 said, you should have found some missing pins in the shift drum.

But if it just won't shift up, moving/rotating the back wheel in a forward direction can help move the tranny parts a bit to let the gears slide/move and the shift forks to move to let it eventually shift into 4th. Let us know what you find.

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Why are you taking the engine out of the frame? The fix can be done without removing the engine.
        Slow down and enjoy life. If you are in that much of a hurry, you should have left eariler.
        Current rides:
        80 XS1100SG
        82 JX1100
        83 Venture Royale
        86 V-Max

Comment

Originally posted by mlew View Post
          Why are you taking the engine out of the frame? The fix can be done without removing the engine.
          It's a lot easier to do with the engine out, and with the cylinders and head gone already, the hard part is done already.

@fullmetal, if you have the engine out, it takes maybe 20 minutes to split the cases, (Less with air tools) then you don't have to worry about what gear it's in and you can take a look at the crank bearings to see if they are needing replaced. After 30+ years, it'd probably be a good idea to get some new crank seals as well since they're cheap. If you're splitting the cases, you can even throw some OEM ones back in it if you want.
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

True it is easier. Was not sure if you were removing the engine just to fix the trans. Looks like there is other things to fix too.
            While it is a PITA to fix 2nd gear with the engine in the frame, it can be done easily as a weekend project. I have done several and never worried about what gear it is in. Never even flipped the bike over, just use the center stand.
            Slow down and enjoy life. If you are in that much of a hurry, you should have left eariler.
            Current rides:
            80 XS1100SG
            82 JX1100
            83 Venture Royale
            86 V-Max

Comment

I'm taking the motor out to paint it and to get the frame repainted, among other things. I have a build thread somewhere but progress has been too slow to justify updating it just yet.

During the short time the bike ran before the tear down, I remember the bike was very stubborn with shifting up. Idk how much exactly it would shift up, I just know it's in 3rd right now. The wheels are off the bike now.

But if I don't really have to worry about what gear it's in if I split the cases, then that's the route I'll take. I have to split it open anyways. I'm curious now to see what I'll find when I do so.
              80 G

Comment

Originally posted by fullmetal View Post
                I'm taking the motor out to paint it and to get the frame repainted, among other things. I have a build thread somewhere but progress has been too slow to justify updating it just yet.

During the short time the bike ran before the tear down, I remember the bike was very stubborn with shifting up. Idk how much exactly it would shift up, I just know it's in 3rd right now. The wheels are off the bike now.

But if I don't really have to worry about what gear it's in if I split the cases, then that's the route I'll take. I have to split it open anyways. I'm curious now to see what I'll find when I do so.
                .............gear engaging dogs worn enough on edges to not hold in gear, roll pin in shift fork shaft on clutch side fallen out which causes shift fork shaft to slide enough to bend ends of shift pin retainers which causes one or more of them the fall out along with the oil pump idler gear on clutch side. When going back together with it, be sure and do the shift pawl alignment process aligning the two indented marks while in second gear. Expect more specifics to be asked, but this'll get you a good start.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                X