Registration options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registration options?

I live in WI and we have a hobbyist plate available for vehicles 20 years or older. I am considering this for my XS. It made me wonder, how many of you do the regular registration vs other options(hobby, collector, etc)?

The hobby plates cost extra up front, but then the registration is active for the life of the owner. Never need tabs again!
    78E "Wanderlust"
    K&N Air Filter
    Jardine Spaghetti Exhaust
    Raptor ACCT
    Barnett Clutch Plate & Springs
    LED Turn Signals

"Not all those who wander are lost."

I have historical plates on both of my rides.
    Tim
    1979 xs1100sf black.
    1973 Harley fx.
    2005 Honda 450x.

Comment

Find out the details in your state first, many places have restrictions on when/how much the bike may be ridden. In my state of Florida, there are no restrictions for what they call an 'antique' plate.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

In Maryland, I had an historical plate on the XJ650 with no restriction. Virginia has a mileage restriction on historic so I opted for normal plate.

Now I am in NC and all of my bikes have normal plates.
        82 XJ1100 - sold
        96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
        2000 ZRX1100 - sold
        2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

The only restriction for the WI hobbyist plate is that you can't operate the vehicle in January with out a special permit. I have no desire to ride my XS in WI in January
          78E "Wanderlust"
          K&N Air Filter
          Jardine Spaghetti Exhaust
          Raptor ACCT
          Barnett Clutch Plate & Springs
          LED Turn Signals

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Comment

In Michigan, they don't mess around, as the State gets BIG MONEY for registration. Historical plates restrict your use to clubs and parades only. If you get caught joy riding (and you will), the cops take the plate, and tow the vehicle. Motorcycle registration is $25 annually. Not expensive to play by the rules.
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by PorterTheCelt View Post
              The only restriction for the WI hobbyist plate is that you can't operate the vehicle in January with out a special permit. I have no desire to ride my XS in WI in January
              I green plated (wisco hobby) my Mercury while I was in California. Was nice not to have to concern myself with emissions or registration ever again. I still drove it in January out there because no one knew the rules, but as was mentioned earlier, January in the Midwest is no time for a hobby vehicle anyway. I suppose if you plan on holding on to the bike long enough to validate the initial expense I don't see why you wouldn't.
              79 F

Comment

Well, Michigan Historic plate limits your riding, but I've been plated historical for three years now, and savings are extensive...Riding is limited to rallies and shows, which in summer time is daily ))
                Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Where does it save you money? Motorcycle registration is only $25.
                  1979 XS1100F
                  2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                    Where does it save you money? Motorcycle registration is only $25.
                    I can't speak to motorcycle plates but I green plated my 67 merc because it's a one time deal. It was a couple hundred up front but is covered for the life of the vehicle, so it's already paid for itself. No fuss with stickers anymore, just screw the plate on and forget about it.
                    79 F

Comment

Oh yeah. Well, motorcycles is the subject, lol.
                      1979 XS1100F

Comment

In California, my reg is $98 per year for regular plates. IF I only paid $25 per year, I'd be VERY HAPPY! I have not checked on the historic, as the bike probably does not count. Last time I looked, historic was in the '50's or earlier. California has a LOT of old vehicles, and any car before '76 does not need a smog check, the only thing this state worries about.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                          In California, my reg is $98 per year for regular plates. IF I only paid $25 per year, I'd be VERY HAPPY! I have not checked on the historic, as the bike probably does not count. Last time I looked, historic was in the '50's or earlier. California has a LOT of old vehicles, and any car before '76 does not need a smog check, the only thing this state worries about.
                          Very true on your last part of remark Ray. First part is just cause Cali. is associated with registration/re-newal cost.
                          Last edited by motoman; 04-10-2016, 03:20 PM.
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

In Connecticut your property taxes on the car with vintage plates is limited to $500 value for the car.
                            That means my 78 xs total tax is $11.50
                            78E, 79F, 80G

Comment

Working...
                            X